This Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken dish takes chicken breasts, and slow cooks them in a sweet and salty sauce that's perfect for rice, noodles, or steamed vegetables. It only requires a few simple ingredients, and the crock pot does all the work!
There are so many ways you can cook chicken, but sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This crock pot honey garlic chicken is an easy chicken recipe that delivers big flavor. The combination of sweet honey and savory garlic is a classic for a reason, and it pairs perfectly with chicken!
The best part about this dish is how easy it is to assemble and cook. Mix up the sauce using less than 10 pantry ingredients. Pour it over chicken breasts in the crock pot and let it slowly cook as you carry on.
The result is a chicken dish that is tender and coated in a sticky, sweet, and savory sauce. Serve it over rice or noodles, with steamed vegetables on the side. You can also shred the chicken and use it in tacos or burrito bowls!
No matter how you enjoy this chicken, you'll come back this recipe again and again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
- Perfect for busy weeknights! The crock pot does all the work.
- A family favorite recipe that everyone will love.
- Sticky, sweet, and savory – the perfect combination of flavors!
- Is versatile and can be served over rice, noodles, or in tacos
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts- Boneless and skinless, chicken breasts add lots of flavor and wont dry out when cooking.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce - Gives the sauce its salty umami base.
- Honey - Adds a naturally sweet flavor throughout the sauce.
- Garlic - Gives the chicken a bold garlic flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Sesame Oil - Adds a rich toasted sesame flavor throughout.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Adds an acidic tang and natural sweetness.
- Dried Ginger - Gives the sauce a bit of natural spice and freshness.
- Cornstarch - Used with water to help thicken the sauce to a sticky consistency.
How To Make Honey Garlic Chicken In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the chicken breasts: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breasts. Pat dry with a paper towel, then place them at the bottom of your crock pot.
Mix the sauce: To a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, honey, garlic, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, water, and ginger. Mix until well combined. Then, pour over the top of the chicken thighs.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 4½ to 5½ hours or high for 2½ to 3½ hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Shred and thicken: Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it with two forks. Whisk cornstarch into the sauce, then add the shredded chicken to the mixture. Toss to coat and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve and enjoy: Serve over a bed of rice, noodles, or with some steamed vegetables while hot. Enjoy!
- Be sure to trim the excess fat off of the chicken breast before adding to the slow cooker as it could change the texture of the sauce.
- Chicken thighs are fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Use a kitchen thermometer to check for doneness.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari in place of the soy sauce.
- Shred the chicken with two forks or use other methods including a handheld mixer, food processor, or stand mixer.
- Instead of honey, try using other sweeteners, including brown sugar, white sugar, agave nectar, or maple syrup.
- Make it spicier by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper powder to the sauce.
- Add other vegetables to the crock pot, including diced onion, carrots, celery, or mushrooms.
- To make this dish lower in carbs, serve over a bed of steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice.
- Use chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts. Keep in mind that chicken thighs cook faster and could dry out if cooked too long.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftover honey garlic chicken, once cooled, can be stored in an airtight container and placed in the fridge, where it will last for up to four days.
Freezing: Add the honey garlic chicken to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to four months. Let thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating: To reheat, add chicken to a skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of chicken broth or water if the sauce has thickened too much. Cook until heated through.
This crock pot chicken recipe is made with all-natural ingredients and is a great protein source. You can make it even more healthy by choosing to serve it with low-carb vegetables or cauliflower rice.
Yes, but it may take longer to cook the chicken fully. For best results, use a kitchen thermometer to check for doneness.
Yes, simply add all of the ingredients to the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for five minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and shred chicken with two forks before serving.
More Crock Pot Asian Inspired Recipes
- CROCK POT SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
- SLOW COOKER GENERAL TSO CHICKEN
- SLOW COOKER COPYCAT PF CHANGS LETTUCE WRAPS
- CROCK POT BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- CROCK POT SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- SHREDDED SLOW COOKER HONEY TERIYAKI CHICKEN
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 4 tsp garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Add chicken thighs to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, add soy sauce, honey, garlic, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, water, and ginger. Mix until well combined. Then, pour over the top of the chicken thighs.
- Cover and cook on low for 4½ to 5½ hours or high for 2½ to 3½ hours
- Remove chicken from the slow and shred. Then, set the chicken aside. Whisk cornstarch into the sauce until there are no lumps. Add chicken to the slow cooker and mix into the sauce until coated. Continue to cook for 15 minutes
- Serve over rice, and enjoy!