This Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken recipe is the perfect meal for a special occasion. This slow cooker dinner recipe features tender chicken breast cooked in a creamy sundried tomato sauce that's packed with flavor! Serve over pasta or rice for a meal that's worthy of a proposal!
Of all the slow cooker chicken recipes you can make, this one is a go-to that get's made over and over. You can't have a dish called marry me chicken if it's not going to be good enough to get a yes!
Marry Me Chicken is a dish made of chicken breasts cooked in a creamy sundried tomato sauce. The sauce is usually made with heavy cream, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. It's a rich and flavorful Tuscan-inspired dish that's perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner.
The name comes from the fact that this dish is so good, it's worthy of a proposal!
You can serve it over pasta, rice, or even over a creamy heap of crock pot cheesy scalloped potatoes for a complete meal.
This crock pot chicken recipe is an easy one to follow and make. Just a few simple ingredients are all you need to create a restaurant-worthy creamy chicken dinner right in your own kitchen. And the best part? The crock pot does all the work for you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This slow cooker creamy chicken dish is made with simple ingredients you can find anywhere.
- This crock pot chicken is perfect for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner. It's also great for meal prep and makes excellent leftovers.
- The combination of Tuscan flavors along with the heavy cream creates a rich and flavorful sauce you'll want to eat with a spoon!
- You can serve it in a variety of different ways to change it up each time you make it!
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken
Chicken Breasts - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts get slow-cooked in the sauce to ensure they are juicy and tender.
Chicken Broth - Helps thin out the sauce while adding additional chicken flavor and nutrients to the dish.
Corn Starch - Helps thicken up the sauce so it's smooth and creamy.
Heavy Cream - Makes up the creamy base of the sauce giving it a rich and decadent texture and flavor.
Garlic Cloves - Adds bold garlic flavor that compliments the rest of the ingredients.
Dried Seasonings - A mix of onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper properly balance and season the dish.
Italian Seasoning - Gives this slow cooker creamy Tuscan chicken its Italian herb flavor.
Butter - Gets put on top of the chicken to melt right into it adding an even more comforting buttery flavor.
Sun-Dried Tomato - Adds acidity to the sauce along with rich tomato flavor with a hint of natural sweetness.
How To Make Slow Cooker Marry Me Chicken
Mix the thickener: In a medium-sized bowl, pour in the chicken broth along with the corn starch. Whisk to fully combine until there are no lumps. Pour into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Add the sauce ingredients: Then, add the heavy cream, garlic, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and onion powder. Whisk together with the chicken broth until well combined.
Add chicken and butter: Add the chicken breasts over the sauce, then top with pats of butter and the drained sun-dried tomatoes.
Slow cook: Cover with the lid. Cook on HIGH for 2½ to 3 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours.
Remove and serve: When finished cooking, remove the chicken breast and slice if desired. Plate over a serving of rice, pasta, or vegetables, then ladle the creamy sauce on top. Enjoy!
- Make sure the cornstarch is fully whisked in with the chicken broth before cooking as this will help slowly thicken up the sauce to avoid lumps.
- For best results, use chicken breasts that are roughly the same size to ensure they cook evenly.
- The safe internal temperature for chicken breast is 165F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken before removing it from the crock pot as cooking times will vary depending on your individual slow cooker.
Variations & Substitutions
- Instead of using chicken breasts, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. Keep in mind, that they will cook faster.
- If you're not a fan of sun-dried tomatoes, feel free to leave them out or substitute them with fresh diced tomatoes or roasted red bell peppers.
- Add a kick of heat by sprinkling in some cayenne pepper to the sauce or a bit of red chili flake.
- Stir in your favorite greens at the end for additional nutrients such as chopped kale, spinach, or Swiss chard.
- If you want to lighten up this recipe, substitute the heavy cream for evaporated milk or half and half.
- To make the dish low carb, serve over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, or a bed of greens.
Storing: Cooled leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Reheating: Gently reheat individual servings on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the microwave.
Freezing: Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat. The cream in the sauce may separate when thawed. As you're reheating, give it a good whisk to bring it back together.
There is no definitive answer to this question. One popular theory is that the dish was created by an Italian chef who wanted to propose to his girlfriend with a special meal. Another theory is that it was created by a woman who wanted to propose to her boyfriend! Regardless of its origins, this dish is sure to make anyone feel loved and special.
This dish is traditionally served over pasta, potatoes, rice, or vegetables. For a low-carb option, you can serve it over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, or a bed of greens.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Shredded Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole (With Ritz Crackers)
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Slow Cooker Olive Garden Dressing Chicken Pasta
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken
- 4 Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter (divided into fourths)
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes (drained)
- In a medium bowl, add chicken broth and slowly whisk in cornstarch. Whisk until there are no lumps and pour into the slow cooker.
- Add heavy cream, garlic, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and onion powder. Whisk together with the chicken broth until well combined.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and top with butter and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Serve while hot over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. Cover with sauce, and enjoy!