Create this easy recipe for Crock Pot Brussel Sprouts with Bacon with just a few simple ingredients and the help of your slow cooker! In just 2 hours or less, you can have a salty and smoky side dish that pairs well with any main course.
Brussels sprouts are a healthy and tasty addition to any meal, but let's be real, not everyone is a fan of these mini cabbages. That's where the addition of bacon comes in! The smoky, savory flavor of bacon pairs perfectly with the bitterness of Brussels sprouts, creating a side dish that makes brussels sprouts taste amazing.
Using a crock pot is the easiest way to cook brussel sprouts with bacon. The slow cooking process ensures that the sprouts are perfectly tender and that the flavor of bacon infuses in without any effort on your part. It's a great option for those days when you don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but still wants to serve up a delicious and nutritious side.
This recipe for crock pot Brussels sprouts with bacon is a great way to introduce even the pickiest eaters to this vegetable. Serve it with any main course, like Crock Pot French Onion Chicken, or alongside Crock Pot Steak Bites for a well-rounded meal!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The combination of the crispy bacon and tender Brussels sprouts creates a unique texture that is both savory, smoky, and satisfying.
- This recipe takes only a few minutes to prepare and uses simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
- The smoky flavor of the bacon and the sweet undertones of honey in the seasoning mixture complement the slightly bitter taste of the Brussels sprouts, making them easier to enjoy!
- This side dish is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Thick Cut Bacon - Adds a savory, smoky flavor and a crispy texture to the dish.
- Brussels Sprouts - This vegetable provides a slightly bitter taste and a firm texture that pairs well with the bacon and seasonings.
- Melted Butter - Helps to distribute the flavors evenly and adds richness and a buttery flavor.
- Honey - Balances out the bitterness of the Brussels sprouts with a touch of sweetness and also helps to give everything a bit of caramelization.
- Salt & Pepper - Enhance the natural flavors and helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the Brussels sprouts.
- Garlic Cloves & Yellow Onion - Adds a pungent, aromatic garlic and onion flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients.
How To Make Crock Pot Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Cook the bacon: Start by cooking the bacon in a skillet until it’s crispy and browned. Once cooked, drain and set aside. This should take about five minutes.
Season the Brussels sprouts: Add the Brussels sprouts to the crock pot and add the cooked bacon and chopped onions over the top. In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, honey, black pepper, salt, and garlic in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until evenly distributed, then pour the mixture over the top of the brussel sprouts.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and slow cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours. Once cooked, stir before serving. Enjoy!
- Chop the bacon into small pieces before cooking it to ensure it gets crispy and evenly cooked.
- When halving the Brussels sprouts, try to make the pieces as uniform in size as possible so they cook evenly and at the same time.
- To save time, you can prep the Brussels sprouts and seasoning mixture the night before and store them in separate containers in the fridge until you're ready to cook.
- If you prefer your Brussels sprouts to be on the softer side, you can cook them on low for an extra hour.
- Before serving, give the Brussels sprouts a good stir to make sure the bacon and seasonings are evenly distributed.
- For a spicier twist, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a chopped jalapeno to the seasoning mixture.
- If you're a fan of cheese, sprinkle some grated Parmesan or crumbled blue cheese on top of the finished dish before serving.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and add a tablespoon of smoked paprika to the seasoning mixture for a smoky flavor.
- Experiment with different types of sweeteners, such as maple syrup or brown sugar in place of honey for a different flavor profile.
- To add some crunch to the dish, sprinkle some toasted nuts, such as pecans or almonds, over the top before serving.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Allow the brussel sprouts to cool completely, then transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on the stove until heated through.
Freezing: This dish can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Allow them to cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave or on the stove until heated through. Keep in mind that the texture of the Brussels sprouts may change and will become softer after freezing and reheating.
If your brussels sprouts are too big, cut them into quarters instead of halves to ensure they are in a bite-sized shape.
Choose Brussels sprouts that are fresh, firm, and have tightly closed leaves for the best flavor and texture. You'll also want to make sure there is no bruising or browning on the leaves.
If you'd like to make a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and add a tablespoon of smoked paprika to the seasoning mixture for some smoky flavor. You can also use diced ham or pancetta instead.
More Crock Pot Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- Crock Pot Glazed Carrots
- Crock Pot Corn On The Cob
- Easy Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn
- Crock Pot Ranch Potatoes
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Crock Pot Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- 6 slices thick cut bacon (chopped into ½-inch pieces)
- 2 lbs Brussel sprouts (rinsed and halved)
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crispy and browned—about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add Brussel sprouts to a 6-quart crock pot, and sprinkle bacon and onions over the top.
- Add butter, water, honey, black pepper, salt, and garlic in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. Then pour over the Brussel sprouts.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- Stir before serving, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply