Just a few simple ingredients are all you need to make this delicious Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken. Chicken breast gets slow-cooked in salsa, chilies, and seasonings until it is tender and juicy. This makes a perfect main course for tortillas, rice, or add to burritos and tacos!
There are so many ways to flavor chicken breast that are easy and effortless and this salsa verde chicken is one of them!
Green salsa, or salsa verde, is a type of sauce made from tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic, and cilantro. It is common in Mexican cuisine and can be used as a dip, condiment, or cooking sauce.
Chicken breast gets slowly cooked until in the crock pot with the flavor of green salsa and simple seasonings. The texture of the chicken comes out so juicy and tender that it practically melts in your mouth.
The best part about this easy slow cooker chicken is its versatility. You can serve it in many different ways, including in tortillas, rice, burritos, tacos, or even on its own!
This makes it great for feeding a large crowd or as a way to meal prep healthy lunches and dinners for the workweek.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's easy to assemble. Add everything to the crock pot and let it cook until its warm and tender.
- Make a large batch for healthy meal prep throughout the week.
- You can serve it in many different ways with many different toppings.
- The entire recipe takes less than 10 ingredients to make.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts - Boneless skinless chicken breasts add lots of high-quality protein and get tender when cooked in salsa.
- Salsa Verde - This green salsa has a mild taste and natural green color.
- Canned Green Chilies - Adds additional chili flavor and texture.
- White Onions - Adds additional mild onion flavor throughout the dish.
- Minced Garlic - Adds fresh garlic flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, and cumin enhance the overall flavor of the chicken while adding a hint of smokiness.
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken In The Crock Pot
Prepare the chicken: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breast and pat dry with a paper towel.
Prepare the slow cooker: Spray the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken to the bottom.
Mix the sauce: To a medium bowl, add salsa verde, green chilies, onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Whisk to combine, then pour it over the chicken breast fully.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the crock pot and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Shred and serve: Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Add it to the slow cooker to absorb the flavor, then enjoy it while hot.
- Be sure to spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray to prevent the chicken from sticking or burning.
- Salsa Verde can be found in the Mexican aisle of most grocery stores, near the other salsas and sauces. If you can’t find salsa verde, you could use a tomatillo salsa or a regular red salsa in a pinch.
- The chicken is fully cooked through when the temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Use a kitchen thermometer to check for doneness.
- You can shred the chicken breast with two forks or chop it into small bite-sized pieces.
- This recipe can also be made with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Tacos: Serve slow cooker salsa verde chicken in soft or hard tacos. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, and cheese.
- Burrito bowl: Serve the chicken over a bed of rice with black beans, grilled vegetables, and shredded cheese.
- Nachos: Top tortilla chips with chicken, black beans, jalapenos, and shredded cheese. Serve with sour cream on the side.
- Quesadillas: Place chicken, shredded cheese, and grilled vegetables between two tortillas. Cook in a quesadilla maker or grill until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy.
- Tostadas: Place chicken, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and avocado on top of a crispy tostada shell. Serve with sour cream on the side.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooled chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Freeze chicken in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat chicken on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave, cooking for 30-60 seconds or until warmed through.
Yes, you can make this recipe in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then do a natural release. Shred or chop the chicken and stir it back into the sauce before serving.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken in this recipe. Just increase the cooking time by an hour or two.
No, you don’t have to use a slow cooker. You could also make this recipe in the oven. Just bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Then shred or chop and stir into the sauce.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crock Pot Dr. Pepper Chicken
- Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Bourbon Chicken
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- ½ cup green onions (diced)
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Spray the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Then, add chicken to the bottom.
- Add salsa verde, green chilies, onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin to a medium bowl. Mix until well combined and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Then, return to the slow cooker and mix into the sauce.
- Serve over rice or tortillas, and enjoy!