Warm up this winter with a bowl of Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup! This recipe features chicken breast, hearty beans, and sweet corn, all cooked together in a taco-seasoned broth. Perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal!
During the cooler months, the slow cooker is the perfect way to get healthy and flavorful food on the table with little effort! We love making Mexican dishes in the slow cooker, and this chicken taco soup is one of our favorites!
The chicken breast adds protein and flavor, while the beans and corn add valuable fiber and nutritious carbs. The taco seasoning adds a kick of flavor that tastes like soup in taco form!
This is truly a dump-and-go meal. Just add the chicken to the bottom of the crockpot, add the rest of the ingredients and let it cook on high or low heat. The chicken will become tender and shred easily in the soup when it is done cooking.
Serve in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, and freshly chopped cilantro or parsley. You can even top it off with a few crispy tortilla chips!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe is highly versatile! You can use any canned beans you have on hand and flavor it to your liking.
- It’s also great for meal prep! Make a big batch of chicken taco soup and portion it out into individual containers. Refrigerate for up to four days or freeze for up to three months. It makes an easy and delicious lunch.
- Great to prepare on a busy morning before work. Just set it in the slow cooker and come home to a hot meal! The chicken is cooked perfectly, and the flavor of the taco seasoning really comes through.
- This chicken taco soup is a healthy, flavorful way to enjoy Mexican flavors without all the extra work.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts - Boneless, skinless chicken breast adds texture and satisfying protein to the soup.
- Onion and Garlic - Help to create aromatic garlic and onion flavor throughout the dish.
- Canned Beans - A mix of black beans and kidney beans add lots of fiber, texture, and nutrients to the soup.
- Whole Kernel Corn - Adds a hint of sweetness to the soup along with valuable micronutrients.
- Taco Seasoning - Adds a kick of Mexican-inspired flavor to the soup with a combination of spices.
- Ranch Seasonings - A blend of herbs and spices to further enhance the flavor of the soup, giving it a tangy and herby note.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - Juicy tomatoes add body to the soup and make it taste brothy and delicious.
- Salsa - Adds even more Mexican flavor to the soup while also adding some depth to the broth.
- Salt and Pepper - A mix of salt and ground black pepper balance and enhance the natural flavors in the soup.
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the chicken breast: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breast and pat dry on both sides with a paper towel. Add chicken breasts to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients: To the top of the chicken, add the onion, garlic, beans, corn, taco seasoning, ranch seasonings, diced tomatoes (including liquid), and salsa and stir to combine.
Slow cook: Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 2½ - 3½ hours.
Shred chicken: Once the chicken has cooked through, remove and shred it with two forks. Add back into the slow cooker and mix until well combined. Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- The chicken is finished cooking when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- There are a few different ways to shred chicken properly. If you have difficulty using two forks, use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to shred chicken quickly and easily.
- Once the soup is cooked, you can adjust the taste by adding additional salt and pepper or more taco seasoning.
- If your soup is too thick, add some chicken broth until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If your soup is too thin, make a cornstarch slurry with equal parts cornstarch and cold chicken broth. Whisk together, then add to the soup and stir. Allow it to cook an additional 10-15 minutes until the soup starts to thicken.
- Use chicken thighs: Boneless chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Add in extra vegetables: If you like your soup extra chunky and flavorful, add some extra vegetables, including bell peppers, jalapenos, or green chiles.
- Make it vegetarian: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit the chicken for a vegan version. Replace chicken with your favorite cooked beans or cubed tofu.
- Add a kick of heat: Spice things up with a teaspoon of chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Topping suggestions: Top chicken taco soup with crushed tortilla chips, freshly grated cheese, sour cream, or diced avocado.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, portion the chicken soup into airtight containers and store it in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Freezing: To freeze chicken taco soup, let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe bags or containers. Store in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: To reheat chicken taco soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until steaming hot. You may need to add a splash of chicken broth to thin the soup if it has thickened.
Yes, chicken taco soup can be made on the stovetop in a large pot. Chop chicken breast into small pieces. Cook chicken breasts with the other ingredients over medium-low heat for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Yes, chicken breast with bone-in can be used in this recipe. The cooking time may need to be increased by about 25%. Be sure to remove all of the bones before serving.
Yes, you can substitute the beans in this chicken taco soup. Pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans are all great choices.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- Crock Pot Sausage Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- The Best Crock Pot Chili
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 15.25 oz black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15.25 oz kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15.25 oz whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 oz taco seasoning
- 1 oz ranch seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) bottle of your favorite salsa
- 2½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2½ - 3½ hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add back into the slow cooker and mix until well combined.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply