Learn how to cook a whole sweet potato in the crock pot. Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes are an easy way to create valuable kitchen space for holiday meals and can be served in many different ways!
Crock pots aren't just for soups and casseroles. They can be helpful in the kitchen for a variety of different ways. One way is slow cooking whole sweet potatoes!
This method is great because it doesn't require any pre-cooking of the potato. Simply scrub your sweet potato clean, poke it with steam holes, and place in the crock pot on low for six to eight hours or on high for three to four hours.
The slow cooker will do all the work for you throughout your day. This is a great way to cook sweet potatoes if you're short on time or oven space. This method is especially great when preparing holiday meals for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This method for cooking sweet potatoes is great when you're short on prep time and don't want to keep the oven running.
- Whole sweet potatoes can be served in a variety of different ways.
- Clean-up is easier than ever!
- Make them for a holiday meal or as a healthy part of meal prep throughout the week.
Ingredients & Equipment
- Whole Sweet Potatoes - You can use this method to cook traditional sweet potatoes or yams, or other varieties of sweet potatoes, including Japanese, Korean, or Garnet sweet potatoes.
- Scrub Brush - A kitchen scrub brush is helpful for this recipe because it removes any excess dirt or impurities from the sweet potato quickly and easily.
- Crock Pot - You can use any size slow cooker you have to make sweet potatoes. Be sure to use one large enough to fit the sweet potatoes while you can still close the lid.
How To Make Sweet Potatoes In The Crock Pot
Wash and clean the sweet potato: Start by scrubbing your sweet potato under cool water. You can use a vegetable brush to help remove any dirt or impurities.
Poke holes in the sweet potato: Next, use a fork to poke holes all around the sweet potato. This will allow steam to escape while cooking and prevent the sweet potato from falling apart.
Slow cook the sweet potatoes: Place the sweet potatoes in the crock pot. Cook on LOW for six to eight hours or on HIGH for three to four hours until the sweet potato is cooked through and soft.
Serve & enjoy: Sweet potatoes can be served whole or sliced open. Top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- Choose sweet potatoes that are all roughly the same size. This will ensure that they all cook at the same time.
- Poking holes in the sweet potato is extremely important because it allows steam to escape. If you don't poke holes, your sweet potato may explode in the slow cooker.
- If you're short on time, cook sweet potatoes on HIGH for three to four hours instead of LOW for six to eight hours.
- Only fit what you can comfortably fit in your crock pot while still being able to close the lid. If you overcrowd the slow cooker, sweet potatoes may not cook evenly.
Toppings For Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
There are so many different ways you can top slow cooker sweet potatoes! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Butter & brown sugar
- Cinnamon & honey
- Marshmallows & chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans or walnuts
- Sour cream & chives
- Bacon bits
- Herb compound butter
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooked and cooled sweet potatoes can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Sweet potatoes can also be frozen for up to six months. Cut sweet potatoes into manageable pieces, place them in a freezer-safe bag or container, and store them in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheat: The best way to reheat a sweet potato is to wrap it in foil and place it in a 350°F oven until heated through about 15-20 minutes. You can also reheat sweet potatoes in the microwave by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and cooking on HIGH for 30-60 seconds.
No, this method does not require you to wrap the sweet potato in foil. The potato will cook without wrapping.
Yes! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to accommodate as many sweet potatoes as you need. Make sure they all fit comfortably in your slow cooker with the lid closed.
Yes, you can peel the sweet potato before slow cooking if you prefer. The skin will become very soft during the slow cooking process and may fall off on its own.
More Easy Crock Pot Potato Recipes
- Crock Pot Ranch Potatoes
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes (No Foil!)
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Easy Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Large sweet potatoes (washed)
- Poke 8-10 holes in each sweet potato with a fork about ½" deep. Then, add them to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply