Tender, shredded chuck roast is cooked in a mix of BBQ sauce and spices until it's nice and tender in this Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches recipe. Perfect for serving on sandwich buns for dinner, or slider rolls as a party appetizer!
Chuck roast is one of those cuts of meat that can be used in so many different ways! It's relatively inexpensive and always comes out so tender when cooked in the crock pot. While the most popular way to make chuck roast in the slow cooker is by making pot roast it can also be used to make these delicious shredded BBQ beef sandwiches.
BBQ beef is a party favorite as well as a great dinner option when you're short on time. I like to make a big batch of this crock pot BBQ beef and then use it throughout the week in sandwiches, quesadillas, nachos, and even pasta! It's a versatile recipe that can be used in many different ways.
This crock pot BBQ beef recipe is made with a simple mix of BBQ sauce and spices. Just brown the chuck roast in a skillet, add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and cook until tender.
This crock pot beef is flavorful and the perfect way to enjoy that smoky BBQ flavor any time of the year!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Chuck roast is an inexpensive cut of meat that is budget friendly and delicious when slow cooked.
- This crock pot BBQ beef is so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
- The beef can be shredded and used in sandwiches, quesadillas, nachos, or pasta for a quick and easy meal.
- No need to turn on the grill! Enjoy BBQ flavor year-round with this easy shredded beef recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chuck Roast - Typically used in pot roast recipes, this cut of beef is exceptionally tender when slowly cooked with seasonings and sauces.
- Olive Oil - Used to get a nice crust on the meat when seared in a skillet.
- White Onion & Garlic - Adds a bold onion and garlic flavor throughout the beef that pairs well with its natural flavors.
- Worchestershire Sauce - Adds a salty umami flavor to the beef that flavors it and tenderizes it.
- Brown Sugar - Adds a hint of sweetness to the beef that enhances the flavors of the BBQ sauce.
- Seasonings - A mix of paprika, black pepper, salt, and chili powder further season the meat.
- BBQ Sauce - You can use your favorite BBQ sauce to give the beef its classic smoky and spicy flavor.
How To Make BBQ Beef In The Slow Cooker
Sear the beef: Pat the chuck roast dry with paper towels. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and sear meat on all sides for 2-3 minutes each. Remove and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients: Add brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, and chili powder to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until well combined. Rub the spice over the entire roast and add to a 6-quart Crock-Pot.
Add the sauce: To the top of the chuck roast, add Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and barbecue sauce.
Slowly cook the beef: Add the lid to the top. Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours. Thirty minutes before cook time is up. Remove the roast from the Crock-Pot and shred. Add the shredded roast back into the Crock-Pot to absorb the sauce. Serve hot, and enjoy!
- Searing the beef before hand is important as it helps to lock in the juices and flavor. Do not skip this step!
- The amount of time needed to cook the chuck roast will depend on its size. I recommend using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the beef. It should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- If you want your crock pot BBQ beef to be extra saucy, add in a cup or two of beef broth when you add the BBQ sauce.
- Use other cuts of meat: Instead of using chuck roast, try using other cuts of beef in the slow cooker including London broil, bottom round roast, or eye of round roast.
- Make it gluten free: Use a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce and BBQ sauce to make this crock pot recipe gluten-free.
- Add veggies: For extra flavor and nutrition, add in some chopped veggies like onions, peppers, or mushrooms when you add the beef to the crock pot.
- Use different types of BBQ sauce: There are so many variety of BBQ sauce you can use including Kansas City style, Carolina style, Memphis style, or Texas style.
- Sandwich toppings: Add your favorite toppings to the sandwiches including shredded cheese, coleslaw, dill pickles, or avocado.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftover shredded BBQ beef can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. You may need to add a bit of BBQ sauce or beef broth to loosen the sauce when reheating.
Freezing: Leftovers are great for freezing! Simply store in airtight freezer containers for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove with a bit of BBQ sauce or beef broth.
While you can do either, cooking on low is best as it allows the chuck roast to break down further, resulting in a more tender and flavorful piece of meat.
If you don't have a crock pot or slow cooker, you can make this recipe in the oven. Sear the beef as directed then place all ingredients into a large Dutch oven. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the beef is cooked through. Remove from the oven and shred then add back into the pot with the sauce to keep warm until ready to serve.
There are so many other ways you can serve this crock pot BBQ beef! Try it over nachos, in tacos, on a salad, or simply with a side of steamed veggies.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef
- Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Crock Pot Philly Cheesesteak
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- The Best Crock Pot Meatloaf
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 lbs chuck roast
- ½ cup white onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and sear meat on all sides for 2-3 minutes each. remove and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, and chili powder. Whisk until well combined. Then, rub the spice over the entire roast and add to a 6-quart Crock-Pot.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and barbecue sauce to the top of the roast.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Thirty minutes before cook time is up. Remove the roast from the Crock-Pot and shred. Add the shredded roast back into the Crock-Pot and continue to cook.
- Serve on your favorite bun and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
so yummy! its so easy and turns out absolutely amazing
I am so glad you liked these bbq beef sandwiches.