This Creamy Crock Pot Crack Chicken dish is made with cream cheese, cheddar, and bacon and cooked in your slow cooker until it's nice and creamy. You can enjoy this chicken on sandwiches, wraps, or over your favorite cooked grains. And the best part? It's so easy to make!
There are a million ways to make chicken, but if you've never heard of crack chicken, you're missing out! Crack chicken is a creamy, cheesy chicken dish that's made with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and bacon. It gets its name because it's so addicting - you just can't stop eating it!
This crock pot crack chicken recipe is my go-to meal when I need something easy and delicious. It can be served in many ways, including on a sandwich, in a wrap, or enjoy it over cooked grains like rice or noodles. And, when enjoyed over a salad or with vegetables, it's a delicious low-carb meal.
This creamy crock pot ranch chicken is perfect for busy weeknights or when you have company over. Trust me, you'll be hooked after just one bite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A great way to change up your chicken recipe routine.
- This chicken is rich and creamy and full of flavor.
- It’s an easy recipe to follow and doesn’t require any special ingredients.
- You can serve it in various ways, making it great for meal prep!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts - Adds protein to the dish along with texture. Chicken breast soaks up all of this dish's creamy textures and flavors.
- Cooked Bacon - Gives this chicken dish a salty and smoky layer of flavor, and who doesn't love bacon?
- Chicken Broth - Allows the chicken breast to cook while adding additional chicken flavor and nutrients.
- Cream Cheese - Adds a tangy layer of flavor and a thick and rich creamy texture.
- Ranch Seasoning - Gives this chicken a nice savory ranch flavor that pairs well with bacon, chicken, and cheese.
- Worchestershire - Adds a salty umami flavor to the chicken that rounds out the dish.
- Cheddar Cheese - Gives this chicken a cheddar cheese layer of flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Green Onions - Adds mild onion flavor along with a pop of fresh garden color and taste.
How To Make Creamy Crack Chicken In The Crock Pot
Cook the bacon: Add the sliced bacon to a skillet over medium heat. Cook until crispy and browned. Let the excess fat drain on a paper towel and set aside for topping later.
Slow cook the chicken breasts: Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the crock pot. Then pour the chicken broth over the top and add the ranch seasoning and Worchestershire sauce. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Shred the chicken: Once the chicken is fully cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken into pieces while keeping the liquid in the slow cooker.
Assemble the crack chicken: Once the chicken is shredded, add both kinds of cheese, green onions, and bacon. Stir to combine and let cook for an additional 10 minutes to warm through and distribute.
Remove and enjoy: Scoop the crack chicken out of the crock pot, enjoy with buns and tortillas, or serve as is!
- The time it takes to cook the chicken fully depends on your individual slow cooker and how thick the chicken breast is. Ensure the chicken is cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This recipe can easily be doubled if you're feeding a large crowd or meal prepping for the week. Adjust the cooking time and use a larger crock pot as necessary.
- You can shred chicken in a few different ways. I like to use two forks to shred the chicken in the crock pot, but you can also remove the chicken and shred it on a plate or cutting board or use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Cube the cream cheese before adding it to the chicken, this will help it melt faster.
- Instead of chicken breast, you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- You can use any type of cheese you like in this recipe. Try it with mozzarella, pepper jack, and Swiss for a different flavor profile.
- Add some heat by stirring in a diced jalapeno or red pepper flakes.
- If you don't have ranch seasoning on hand, you can make your own or use two packets of Italian seasoning.
- Add some veggies to the mix, including chopped carrots, celery, or onion, to add texture and flavor.
- This dish is naturally lower in carbohydrates, especially when served with lettuce wraps. To make it keto-friendly, use low-carbohydrate tortillas or serve over cauliflower rice.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooled leftover crack chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: To freeze, place cooled chicken in a freezer-safe bag or container and store for up to four months. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warm. Remember that the texture will change once thawed and more cream cheese may be needed to thicken the chicken.
Reheating: The best way to reheat crack chicken is in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add chicken to a skillet over medium heat and cook until warm. You may need to add additional cream cheese or milk to reach the desired consistency.
Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken, but you will need to adjust the cooking time. Pre-cooked chicken only needs to be heated through so cook on LOW for 1-2 hours or until its warmed through.
You don't have to, but cream cheese adds a delicious creamy element to this dish. If you don't want to use it, you can substitute with Greek yogurt or mayo.
Yes! You can either cook the chicken breasts ahead of time and shred or cook the entire dish and reheat when ready to serve.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Shredded Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook until browned. Slice and set aside until the end.
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, add chicken broth, ranch seasoning, cream cheese, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or high for 4 - 5 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker. Then, add cheese, green onions, and bacon. Stir until combined and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve over buns, rice, or in tortillas.