This recipe for Crock Pot Shredded Chicken is not only incredibly easy, but it's also packed with flavor thanks to a simple blend of seasonings and low-sodium chicken broth. Perfect for busy weeknights or meal prep, this easy shredded chicken is extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes.
Shredded chicken is a high-protein staple in many households. It's versatile, easy to prepare, and incredibly delicious! Shredded chicken is cooked chicken that's been pulled apart into small pieces using a fork or other utensils. It can be used in a wide variety of dishes, such as tacos, burritos, salads, sandwiches, casseroles, and so much more.
While there are many ways to make it, the crock pot is the best way to make shredded chicken. The slow cooking process ensures that the chicken cooks evenly and stays moist and tender. Cooking the chicken low and slow also allows it to absorb any flavors you add from seasonings, spices, or sauces. You can switch up the spices and seasonings to keep things interesting!
Whether you're meal-prepping or have a busy week ahead, shredded chicken is an excellent option for a quick and easy protein. By cooking a large batch in the crock pot, you can have a week's worth of protein ready to go in no time to use in your favorite dishes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You can use shredded chicken in tacos, salads, sandwiches, casseroles, and more, making it the perfect ingredient to have on hand for a quick and easy meal.
- The blend of seasonings, including garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning, adds a lot of savory flavor to the chicken that tastes even better over time.
- Slow cooker shredded chicken is perfect for meal prep and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. This means you can have a week's worth of protein ready to go for easy, delicious meals all week long.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a lean source of protein that will cook until tender in the slow cooker, making them ideal for shredding.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - Used to add moisture to the chicken throughout the cooking process.
- Seasoning - A blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning is what makes this shredded chicken recipe so flavorful. The combination helps enhance the natural flavor of chicken breast.
How To Make Shredded Chicken In The Crock Pot
Prepare the chicken: Remove the chicken breast from the package. Trim off any excess fat and pat it dry with paper towels.
Season chicken: Place the prepared chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the low-sodium chicken broth over the top, followed by the dry seasonings.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 2½ - 3½ hours or LOW for 4 - 5 hours or until the chicken reaches 165 ° F internal temperature.
Shred and enjoy: Remove the chicken breast from the crock pot. Shred the chicken using two forks, then place it back into the broth and mix together until hydrated. Enjoy!
- To ensure even cooking and prevent dryness, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are of similar size and thickness. If necessary, pound the thicker parts of the chicken to create an even thickness before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth to control the amount of salt in the recipe. If you only have regular chicken broth on hand, you may want to adjust the amount of salt in the seasoning blend to compensate.
- For extra flavor, add sliced onions, minced garlic, or your favorite herbs to the slow cooker along with the chicken and broth. This will infuse the chicken with even more flavor and aroma.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks. For a quicker method, you can also use a hand mixer on low speed to shred the chicken.
- Tacos - Top your shredded chicken with your favorite taco toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream, for an easy and delicious taco night.
- Salads - Add shredded chicken to your favorite greens, along with vegetables, nuts, and a vinaigrette dressing, for a protein-packed and satisfying salad.
- Sandwiches - Use the shredded chicken as a filling for sandwiches or wraps, along with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and your favorite condiments, for a quick and easy lunch.
- Soups - Add the shredded chicken to your favorite soup recipe for added protein and flavor. It's perfect for chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup, and more.
- Casseroles - Use the shredded chicken as a base for a delicious casserole. Add vegetables, rice, and cheese for a one-dish meal.
- Pizza - Top your favorite pizza crust with shredded chicken, tomato sauce, and cheese for a protein-packed pizza.
- Quesadillas - Layer the shredded chicken with cheese and your favorite veggies between two tortillas for a quick and easy quesadilla.
- Burritos - Wrap the shredded chicken in a tortilla along with rice, beans, and cheese for a delicious and filling burrito.
- Pasta - Add the shredded chicken to your favorite pasta dish for added protein and flavor. It's perfect for pasta salad, Alfredo, or spaghetti.
- Stuffed Peppers - Stuff bell peppers with shredded chicken, rice, cheese, and your favorite seasonings for a tasty and healthy dinner.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once the chicken is fully cooled, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to five days.
Freezing: Place leftover shredded chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. When you're ready to use it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
To keep the chicken breast from drying out, use low-sodium broth to keep moisture in the chicken. Also, make sure the chicken is all roughly the same size.
Yes, it is perfectly safe to put raw chicken in the crock pot. The slow cooking process will ensure that all of the bacteria are killed off and that the chicken is cooked through and reaches a temperature of 165 °F.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken for this recipe. However, it will take longer to cook than fresh or thawed chicken. Be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and use a food thermometer to check that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 °F.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crock Pot Dr. Pepper Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken and Broccoli
- Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken
- Crock Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart Crock Pot. Pour chicken broth over the top and add in seasonings.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ - 3½ hours or low for 4 - 5 hours or until the chicken reaches 165 ° F internal temperature.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. For extra flavor, you can add the chicken back into the broth and mix it together.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.