If you love Dr. Pepper, try this Crock Pot Dr. Pepper Chicken recipe! This dish is easy to make with the help of your slow cooker, and it's packed with sweet and savory flavors! Serve this shredded chicken sandwich on a bun with your favorite toppings!
The flavor of Dr. Pepper is uniquely delicious. Dr. Pepper is a soft drink that was first introduced in 1885. It's made with a blend of 23 different flavors, including vanilla, cherry, and orange.
This slow cooker Dr. Pepper chicken recipe is an easy way to enjoy the flavor of Dr. Pepper in a hearty dish! The chicken slowly cooks in a mixture of Dr. Pepper, barbecue sauce, and simple spices. The result is tender, juicy chicken that's fork tender and packed with flavor!
Enjoy this chicken served on a bun with your favorite toppings, or serve over rice, a green salad, or roasted vegetables. No matter how you enjoy it, this Dr. Pepper chicken will be a favorite recipe in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The ingredients are simple and can be found in any grocery store.
- The combination of ingredients makes the chicken sweet, savory and smoky.
- You can serve it in a variety of different ways.
- Great for a quick and easy weeknight protein!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - This high-protein meat soaks in the flavors of the sauce, providing a delicious pulled chicken.
- Dr. Pepper - This soda gives the chicken a sweet and fruity flavor and helps tenderize the chicken so it shreds easily.
- BBQ Sauce - Adds additional sweet and smoky notes that pair well with the unique flavor of Dr. Pepper.
- Minced Garlic - Adds a bold kick of garlic flavor to the chicken.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of ground black pepper and onion powder further enhance the flavor of the chicken.
How To Make Dr. Pepper Chicken In The Crock Pot
Assemble the sauce: In a 6-quart slow cooker, add Dr. pepper, BBQ sauce, onion powder, garlic, and black pepper. Then, whisk until fully combined.
Marinate the chicken: Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker and toss until it's completely coated in the sauce.
Slow cook the chicken: Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 2½-3½ hours.
Shred and serve: Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove and shred it with two forks. Add it back to the crock pot and coat it in the sauce. Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings!
- Before you add the chicken to the crock pot, make sure you trim any excess fat off of the meat. This will help keep the dish healthy and low in calories.
- There are many ways you can shred the chicken after it's cooked. Try using a stand mixer, hand mixer, or even a food processor!
- If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, you can marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight. Just store it in the fridge until you're ready to cook it.
- Make sure you don't overcook the chicken, or it will become dry. The best way to test if it's done is to use a meat thermometer. The chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Instead of putting the chicken on the bun, try serving it over a bed of rice, quinoa, or roasted vegetables.
- To add a kick of spice, try adding a teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of BBQ sauce! You can use a store-bought variety or even make your own homemade sauce.
- If you want a little extra flavor, try adding bacon to the crock pot while cooking the chicken.
- Instead of chicken breast, try using chicken thighs for a richer flavor. Just be sure to trim any excess fat before cooking.
- Don't enjoy Dr. Pepper? Try using other types of soda, including Coca-Cola, Sprite, or root beer!
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooked chicken can be properly stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days.
Freezing: This recipe can also be frozen for up to four months. To freeze, place the shredded chicken in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw it overnight in the fridge when you're ready to eat it.
Reheating: Chicken can be reheated on the stove, in the microwave, or even in the crock pot. Just be sure to heat it until it's steaming hot all the way through.
Dr. Pepper is a carbonated soft drink that has a unique flavor. It's often described as being a mix of cherry, plum, and orange flavors with a hint of vanilla and spice.
A sweet BBQ sauce will yield the best flavor because it will complement the sweetness of Dr. Pepper. However, feel free to experiment with different types of sauce to find your favorite!
To make this recipe healthier, you can use skinless chicken breast and trim any excess fat off before cooking. You can also lighten up the sauce by using a sugar-free BBQ sauce.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Dr Pepper Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups Dr. Pepper
- 1½ cups BBQ Sauce
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- In a 6-quart slow cooker add Dr. pepper, BBQ sauce, onion powder, garlic, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Place chicken in sauce and completely coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2½-3½ hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks in the slow cookers and then mix into the sauce.
- Serve on your favorite buns and enjoy!