These BBQ Chicken Sliders are made in the slow cooker, so they're perfect for a busy weeknight. Tender chicken is cooked in a sweet and savory BBQ sauce, then added to slider rolls, topped with cheese, and baked until golden brown. These sliders make the perfect snack, appetizer, or main course!
Sliders are small sandwiches, usually made with mini hamburger buns. They're perfect for parties and events because they can be eaten in one or two bites. There are MANY different types of sliders you can make, but we love these BBQ chicken sliders for lots of reasons.
First, they are made in the crock pot, so they're super easy to make. Just toss everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing.
Second, the chicken is cooked in a sweet and savory BBQ sauce. We used our favorite store-bought brand, but you can use any BBQ sauce you like.
Third, these sliders can be served as a snack, appetizer, or main course. They're perfect for game day, potlucks, and parties!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These tiny sandwiches are packed with BBQ flavor.
- They are easy to assemble and even easier to eat!
- Chicken breast is a hearty and satisfying protein.
- This recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd or a family for dinner any night of the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast is the perfect meat to soak up BBQ sauce when cooked slowly until tender.
- BBQ Sauce - You can use a homemade sauce or purchase your favorite store-bought version to save time.
- Garlic & Red Onion - Adds a bold garlic onion flavor to the sandwiches that round out the sweet flavors in the BBQ sauce.
- Seasonings - A mix of onion powder and ground black pepper help properly season the dish.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Adds a melty layer of cheesy goodness to these sliders when baked in the oven.
- Hawaiian Slider Rolls - This sweet bread is shaped into mini buns that perfectly cradle each piece of chicken.
- Butter & Italian Seasoning - Melted butter mixed with Italian seasoning gets brushed on top of the sandwiches to add flavor and texture.
How To Make BBQ Chicken Sliders In The Crock Pot
Prepare the sauce: Add the BBQ sauce and seasonings to the crock pot. Stir until fully combined.
Prepare the chicken: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breast and pat dry with a paper towel. Add the chicken breast to the BBQ sauce mixture.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook the chicken on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Shred chicken: Remove the cooked chicken from the sauce and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back into the sauce and mix until fully combined and saturated.
Prepare the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 350°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a serrated knife to cut the sandwich rolls in half in one piece. Place the bottom half of the rolls on the prepared baking sheet. Spread out the shredded chicken on the rolls. Next, put the onions and cheese on top. Then add the top of the rolls.
Assemble butter mixture: Whisk together melted butter and Italian seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
Bake the sandwiches: Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove and brush the top of the rolls with the prepared butter mixture. Serve while hot, and enjoy!
- The chicken breast is fully cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165° F. Use a digital meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- If your sauce is too thick, add a little chicken broth or water to thin it out.
- An easy way to shred chicken is to use an electric hand mixer. Just place the cooked chicken in a bowl and mix on low speed until shredded.
- Using a serrated knife to cut the rolls is important as it will help prevent the rolls from squishing down when cut.
- Use other meats: Swap out the chicken for pulled pork, beef, or turkey.
- Add other vegetables: Mix in shredded carrots, celery, or green onions to the sauce.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free buns or rolls.
- Add some heat: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce to the sauce for a little kick.
- Make them low carb: Serve the chicken on lettuce wraps or bibb lettuce instead of rolls.
- Use different cheese: Swap out the mozzarella for cheddar, provolone, or pepper jack.
- Season the butter: Instead of Italian seasoning, try using garlic powder, smoked paprika, or chili powder.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Any leftovers can be cooled, then stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: The chicken can be frozen in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Be sure to thaw completely before reheating.
Reheating: These sliders are best reheated in the oven but can also be reheated in the microwave. To reheat in the oven, place on a baking sheet and heat at 350° until warm. Microwave instructions will vary depending on the wattage of your machine, so start with 30 seconds and then add time as needed.
It is not recommended as the chicken breast will release moisture when thawing, making the sauce watery.
You can use any small rolls or buns that you like. Dinner rolls, hamburger buns, and kaiser rolls would all work well.
These sliders are great on their own as a main dish, appetizer, or snack. However, they would also be delicious served with a side of coleslaw, roasted potatoes, or macaroni and cheese.
More Crock Pot BBQ Recipes
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Little Smokies
- Best Crock Pot Baked Beans with Bacon
- Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 18 oz barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp garlic Minced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 18 rolls (I used sweet Hawaiian rolls and split in half)
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Add barbecue sauce, garlic, onion powder, and pepper to a 6-quart slow cooker. Mix until well combined.
- Place the chicken in the barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add back into sauce and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the bottom half of the rolls on the prepared baking sheet. Spread out the shredded chicken on the rolls. Next, put the onions and cheese on top. Then add the top of the rolls.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and Italian seasoning and set aside.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove and brush the top of the rolls with the prepared butter mixture.
- Serve while hot and enjoy.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply