Enjoy Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas right at home with the help of your slow cooker! This popular Mexican dish is slow-cooked with chicken, peppers, and onions until tender, then served with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings. It's perfect for feeding a family or packing leftovers for lunch!
Skip the restaurant and make your favorite Mexican dish right at home! These chicken fajitas are tender, flavorful, and full of protein and nutrients.
The best part? All of the work is done in the slow cooker! Slow cooker dinners like these get made time and time again in our house because they are simple to make and save time and money. You can set it and forget it, then come home to a warm and delicious meal that's ready to eat!
Fajitas are a super versatile dinner because they can be served in many different ways. Try them the traditional way with tortillas, or add the ingredients on top of a green salad or wrap.
You can also top them with many different types of toppings to make them your own! Give these slow cooker chicken fajitas a try when you need something easy, comforting, and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No need to head out to the restaurant when you can have quality chicken fajitas made from scratch right at home.
- This easy slow cooker chicken dinner is perfect for busy weeknights. Just add everything to the slow cooker and let it cook while you're away.
- Easily adjust the types of vegetables, seasonings, or even the type of protein you use to make it your own.
- The serving ideas are endless making this dish highly versatile to fit everyone's tastes.
Chicken Fajita Ingredients
- Chicken Breast - This high-protein meat is the main portion of the meal and gets perfectly cooked and tender right in the slow cooker.
- Bell Peppers - A mix of red, yellow, and green peppers give this dish garden-fresh flavor and a pop of color.
- White Onion & Minced Garlic - Adds a bold onion and garlic flavor that is classic in fajita vegetables.
- Orange Juice - Gives the dish a refreshing citrus flavor that balances out the seasonings.
- Worchestershire - Adds salty umami flavor that pairs well with the rest of the seasonings.
- Brown Sugar - Adds a bit of sweetness and molasses flavor that balances out the smoky flavors in the dry ingredients.
- Dried Spices - A mix of chili powder, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and onion powder are the perfect fajita seasoning mix.
- Petite Diced Tomatoes with Chilis - Gives the chicken and vegetables a flavorful liquid to cook in that complements the rest of the flavors.
- Flour Tortillas - Scoop up the mix and add it to tortillas for a classic Mexican meal!
How To Make Chicken Fajitas In The Crockpot
Layer the ingredients: Pour half the can of diced tomatoes into the bottom of the slow cooker. Then layer in half of the sliced onions and peppers followed by the chicken breast.
Assemble the dry fajita seasoning: To a small bowl, add the brown sugar and dried spices. Whisk to fully combine, then add to both sides of the chicken breast. Then, add the remaining vegetables on top followed by the other half of the diced tomatoes and garlic.
Mix the liquid marinade: In another small bowl, whisk the orange juice and Worcestershire together until fully combined, then pour on top of the chicken and vegetables.
Slow cook the chicken fajitas: Add the lid, then cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Season and serve: Remove the whole chicken breast from the crockpot and slice it into strips. Add it back to the slow cooker to soak in the seasoning, then serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings!
- When preparing the vegetables, make sure everything is uniform in size and not too small as they can overcook and become mushy.
- If you like your veggies more on the crisp side, add them in at the last 30-40 minutes of the cooking time.
- If you don't have all of the seasoning ingredients on hand, use your favorite packet of fajita seasoning.
- I like to use chicken breast for this recipe because it's lean and cooks quickly, but you could also use chicken thighs. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- The time it takes to fully cook the chicken will depend on your individual slow cooker. Always use a kitchen-grade thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
How To Serve Chicken Fajitas
Fajitas are a wonderfully versatile dish and can be served with your favorite toppings! These serving suggestions are not included in the nutritional information.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo
- Lime Wedges
- Refried Beans
- Cojita Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Pinto Beans
- Freshly Chopped Shallots or Onions
- Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Black Beans
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: I do not recommend freezing this dish as the vegetables can become mushy when reheated. If you must freeze it, leave out the bell peppers and add them in after thawing and reheating. Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Reheating: Gently reheat on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave, but be careful not to overcook as the chicken can become dry.
Yes, you can put frozen chicken in a crock pot. However, it will take longer to cook through so make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Chicken breast is lean meat and can dry out easily if overcooked. I recommend cooking on the low setting to prevent this. You can also add a little chicken broth to the crock pot if you find the fajitas are drying out.
It usually takes around two to three hours on the high setting or four to six hours on the low setting. However, cooking times will vary depending on your slow cooker and the size and type of chicken you're using.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Slow Cooker Olive Garden Dressing Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Hearts
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers (I like to use 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 green) sliced
- 1 white onion (sliced)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 12 (6 in) flour tortillas
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add half of the diced tomatoes in the bottom. Then, top with half of the sliced onions and bell peppers and place chicken breasts on top.
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, onion powder, and paprika. Sprinkle the spice mixture over both sides of the chicken breast.
- Add the remaining sliced onions and green peppers on top of the chicken. Then, add the remaining diced tomatoes and garlic on top.
- In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice and Worcestershire sauce. Then pour over the top of everything.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and slice, add the chicken back into the slow cooker and mix everything together.
- Serve with warm 6" tortillas with you favorite toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo