This Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is packed with protein and spicy flavor with a rich tomato base. The best part is, it's easy to make - just add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and let the magic happen and enjoy on a chilly winter evening or any time of the year!
This slow-cooker chicken tortilla soup is the perfect dish to make when you're short on time but still want a hearty and healthy meal. It's made with simple ingredients that transform into a rich, spicy dish that screams comfort food.
Chicken tortilla soup can be made in many ways, but the slow cooker is the easiest cooking method. Just add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and let it do its thing - in a few hours, you'll have a delicious soup that's packed with protein and full of flavor.
Serve this hearty soup for dinner on a weeknight or prepare it for a party or for a night of watching your favorite sports. Top it with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, or sour cream to take it to the next level!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A great way to warm up during the cold Fall and Winter evenings.
- You can change up the protein, veggies, and level of spice.
- Make it for dinner or serve as a meal for a large gathering.
- A true dump-and-go recipe. Just add everything to the slow cooker and let it all cook together.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breasts - Adds hearty and satisfying protein that gets super tender when slowly cooked.
- Soup Aromatics - A mix of white onion and minced garlic add aromatic flavor to the soup.
- Canned Tomatoes - You'll need a can of diced tomatoes as well as tomatoes with chilies (Rotel) to give the soup its tomato base flavor.
- Chicken Broth - A low-sodium chicken broth or stock helps thin out the soup while adding even more chicken flavor.
- Seasonings - Use a taco seasoning packet along with salt and black pepper to help enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Black Beans - Gives this soup texture and lots of fiber to make it filling and satisfying.
- Whole-Kernel Corn - Adds texture along with a natural sweetness from the corn.
- Cilantro - Added to give the soup a pop of color along with fresh cilantro flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese - Shredded cheddar gives the soup a creamy, melty texture that finishes everything perfectly.
- Crunchy Tortilla Strips - Adds crunch to the soup along with tortilla flavor.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup In The Crock Pot
Prepare the chicken: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breasts. Pat dry with a paper towel, then add them to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Assemble the soup: Prepare the rest of the ingredients, then add them on top of the chicken.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and set the crock pot to HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
Shred the chicken: Remove the chicken from the crock pot once its fully cooked. Shred with two forks or your favorite shredding method. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and combine it with the other ingredients.
Garnish and serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and top with freshly chopped cilantro and crunchy tortilla strips. Enjoy!
- There are a few ways you can shred chicken besides using two forks. You can use an electric hand mixer, a KitchenAid stand mixer, or even a food processor.
- The chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Use a kitchen thermometer to be sure it is fully cooked before shredding.
- Do not drain the juices of the canned tomatoes as they help thin out the soup and add flavor.
- If you want a bit more spice, you can use a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of regular diced tomatoes.
- The slow cooker will continue to cook the chicken even after the allotted time has passed. If you're not ready to eat right away, shred the chicken and turn the slow cooker to WARM until you're ready.
- Use ground beef or turkey in place of chicken for a different protein.
- Swap out the black beans for pinto beans, navy beans, or even lentils.
- Not a fan of corn? Leave it out or add in other veggies like diced carrots, green beans, or zucchini.
- Make it vegetarian by omitting the chicken and doubling up on the beans.
- For a bit more of a crunch, top with chopped green onions or sliced jalapenos.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftovers once cooled, can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. This soup tastes even better the next day!
Freezing: This soup can also be frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to three months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
You can absolutely assemble the soup ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you're ready to cook it. Just add everything to the slow cooker insert, cover, and store in the fridge for up to 12 hours before cooking.
If you find that your soup is too thin, you can remove the slow cooker's lid and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes to help evaporate some of the liquid. You can also add a cornstarch slurry which is equal parts cornstarch and cold water mixed together. Add it to the soup and stir until combined. Let the soup cook for an additional 15 minutes or until thickened.
This soup is hearty and filling on its own, but if you're looking to add a side dish, try serving it with: A green salad, cornbread or biscuits, guacamole or salsa or rice.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
- The Best Crock Pot Chili
- Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Crock Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup white onion (diced)
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (not drained)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can whole-kernel corn (drained)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups crunchy tortilla strips
- Add chicken to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Then, add other remaining ingredients on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Then, add it back into the slow cooker and mix everything.
- Serve while hot and garnish with cheese and tortilla strips.