This Crock Pot Taco Soup is made with ranch seasoned beef, beans, and tomatoes, and it's perfect served with your favorite toppings. This simple taco soup recipe is a great budget-friendly meal for a weeknight, and it's also great for meal prep!
When you're making your meal plan for the week, don't forget about using your slow cooker! Using this simple cooking gadget helps you make easy budget-friendly dinners like this taco soup with ranch!
This taco soup recipe is made with simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, and it's a great way to use up any ground beef you have on hand. Seasoned with ranch dressing mix, this taco soup is full of flavor and perfect served with your favorite toppings!
Simply cook the ground beef, garlic, and onions in a skillet until the meat is browned. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker including ranch seasoning and a jar of salsa for excellent flavor.
Let it simmer away until a hearty soup forms that is perfect after a long day or for workweek lunches!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The ingredients are simple and inexpensive making it a budget-friendly crock pot dinner.
- It's packed with protein and fiber coming from the beef and a variety of beans.
- It's got a layer of ranch flavor that enhances the other simple ingredients.
- This easy taco soup is perfect for meal prep and can be stored in the fridge or freezer for later.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef - This is the main protein of the dish offering a rich texture and beefy flavor.
- Olive Oil - Used to help break down the vegetables and saute the beef.
- Garlic & Onion - Adds a rich garlic and onion flavor to the soup.
- Canned Beans - A mix of black beans and kidney beans are a great combination that adds texture, flavor, protein, and fiber to the dish.
- Canned Corn - Gives the soup texture and adds a natural sweetness that balances the smoky flavors.
- Diced Tomatoes - Adds a brothy texture to the soup with an acidic tomato flavor.
- Taco Seasoning - Gives this soup its classic spicy and smoky taco flavor.
- Ranch Seasoning - Adds a tart and tangy twist that pairs well with Mexican-inspired flavors.
- Salsa - A jar of your favorite salsa helps thicken the soup while adding even more depth of flavor to the dish.
- Water - Helps thin out the soup to the desired consistency.
- Salt & Pepper - Balances and enhances the overall flavor in the dish and can be adjusted to taste.
How To Make Taco Soup In The Crock Pot
Saute the beef and vegetables: Add the cooking oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil gets shiny and hot, add the minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Then, add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Next, add the ground beef and break it apart. Cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain the excess oil, then add it to the bottom of your slow cooker.
Add the soup ingredients: To the beef mixture, add the canned beans, corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, salsa, salt, and pepper and give it a good stir until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Slow cook the soup: Add the lid and cook on HIGH for 2½ to 3 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
Garnish and serve: Give the soup a stir and adjust seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
What To Serve with Your Taco Soup
This is such a hearty soup that you don't really need to serve it with anything else. But I recommend these yummy Sheet Pan Bread Sticks or a nice green salad.
Cooking Tips & Flavor Variations
- If you want to make this taco soup gluten-free, be sure to use a gluten-free ranch seasoning packet or homemade mix.
- Do not skip the step of browning the meat and vegetables as this will help to develop deeper flavors in the soup.
- If you want a little more spice, feel free to add some extra taco seasoning or even a diced jalapeno pepper to the slow cooker.
- Try using other types of beans including chickpeas, pinto beans, or even lentils.
- For a vegetarian version of this soup, omit the beef and use vegetable broth in place of water. You could also add some extra diced vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or carrots.
- Make it creamier by stirring in some sour cream or plain yogurt when you serve.
- Instead of ground beef, use other ground meats such as ground chicken, turkey, pork, or lamb.
- To make this taco soup in the Instant Pot, saute the beef and vegetables according to the recipe instructions. Then, add all of the ingredients except for the water to the pressure cooker. Cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Quick-release the pressure and stir in the water. Serve as directed.
This versatile soup can be made your own by using your favorite toppings. Some ideas include:
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pico De Gallo
- Diced Avocado
- Sour Cream
- White Queso
- Plain or Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
- Hot Sauce
- Lime Wedges
- Queso Fresco
Storing & Freezing
Storing: This Taco Soup will last for up to 3 days in the fridge. Once it has completely cooled, transfer it into a sealed container before placing it in the fridge.
Reheating: To reheat, you can put it in a pan on the stove over medium heat and cook until warm, or microwave individual portions for 1-2 minutes each.
Freezing: Once it has cooled, pour it into an air-tight, freezer-safe container. When you are ready to eat it, thaw it completely in the fridge, then reheat it in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
You can use any type of ground beef you enjoy though the best flavor will come from an 80/20 blend as the fat will give it lots of flavor. For a lean version, use lean ground beef.
Yes! You can either brown the beef and vegetables ahead of time or cook the entire soup in advance. To make ahead, cook the soup according to the recipe instructions then allow it to cool. Store it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to three months.
If your soup is too brothy for your liking, you can thicken it by pureeing some of the beans in the soup, or stirring in a cornstarch slurry. To make a cornstarch slurry, mix together equal parts cornstarch and cold water then stir it into the soup.
Must-Try Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Shredded Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Crock Pot Lazy Lasagna with Ravioli
- Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Hearts
Crock Pot Taco Soup
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
- 2 (15.25 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 oz) package of taco seasoning
- 1 (1 oz) package of ranch seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) bottle of your favorite salsa
- 2½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in ground beef and cook until completely browned. Then drain off excess grease and add to the Crock-Pot.
- Add black beans, kidney beans, corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, salsa, water, salt, and pepper. Stir everything until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.