Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Hearts - a filling, delicious combination of protein-packed chicken breasts, tasty artichoke hearts, flavorful garlic, zesty onions, sliced mushrooms, chicken broth, the perfect combination of spices, and smooth cream cheese for a dinner that is the definition of comfort food.
I don’t know about you, but I love a hearty slow cooker meal, especially in the colder winter months. On busy nights when I’m tempted to run through the drive-thru, I love remembering that I already have dinner cooked at home (that’s much more delicious than any fast food)! This Slow Cooker Artichoke Chicken is easy to make and will be ready to enjoy when you walk in the door in the evening. This is a dinner that even your pickiest eaters will love. The cream cheese makes this meal extra creamy, and the onions, garlic, and spices have all day to soak into the chicken, making it extra flavorful.
This artichoke chicken recipe is so simple to mix up that you won’t mind getting it ready in the morning. Just put your chicken breasts in the slow cooker (make sure that you have thawed them the night before- just a friendly reminder!), add in all of the other ingredients, then top with cream cheese. When you’re ready to eat, all you have to do is shred the chicken and stir, then it will be ready to enjoy. For an extra hearty meal, pair this chicken with rice or pasta - my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Artichoke Chicken
- All you need is a slow cooker to make this dinner recipe. That means that it can be made ahead, and cleanup is a breeze!
- It’s a hearty, comforting dinner that is perfect for a busy weeknight.
- This recipe is easy to make, and the process is very “hands-off”
- It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, and the leftovers are delicious.
Ingredients For Your Slow Cooker Artichoke Mushroom Chicken
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Artichoke Heart Quarters
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Brown Mushrooms
- Yellow Onions
- Chicken Broth
- Cream Cheese
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Hearts
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Add artichokes, mushrooms, garlic, yellow onion, and chicken broth over the chicken.
- Add salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning over the chicken and vegetables. Then, place cream cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Then mix the cream cheese and chicken together.
- Serve with steamed rice or noodles. Enjoy!
What to Serve/Pair with Your Slow Cooker Artichoke Chicken
This slow cooker chicken pairs perfectly with steamed rice or noodles for a hearty, filling meal.
If you want something to munch on before your chicken is ready, try this Greek Salad. Wondering what dessert will pair well with this artichoke chicken? My favorite is these Strawberry Cheesecake Crescent Rolls. They are easy to make and are ready in only 25 minutes.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- If you’re not a big fan of the texture of cooked mushrooms, finely dice them and you won’t even know they’re there, other than the tasty flavor that they add combined with the artichoke hearts.
- I like to serve this dish with freshly baked rolls or bread. Some of my family members even like to eat it sandwich style.
- Can’t find artichoke hearts? You can use Brussel sprouts instead! You’ll get that same texture and mild flavor profile.
Storage & Reheating
This creamy artichoke mushroom chicken will last for up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container. It’s very delicious leftover! The flavors really soak into the chicken. To reheat, just preheat the oven to 350 and heat it for about 10 minutes, or until warm. You can also portion it out and microwave it for about 2 minutes, or until warm.
You can also freeze this chicken. If stored in an air-tight container, it will last for up to 4 weeks. Completely thaw in the fridge before reheating, then just follow the directions above.
Slow Cooker Artichoke Mushroom Chicken FAQs
Sure! To make this recipe paleo-friendly, you’ll want to leave out the cream cheese. This does keep it from having a creamy, smooth texture, though, so keep that in mind. You’ll also want to make sure that your broth does not have any added sugar.
If your chicken is fully cooked, it will be very tender and will shred easily with a fork. When in doubt, check the temperature with a meat thermometer before shredding. The internal temp should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sure! I prefer the taste of the chicken broth, but if you prefer vegetable broth, you could also use that.
If you’re out of cream cheese and you happen to have some mascarpone on hand, you can use that. If you don’t have mascarpone and still want that creamy finish, you can add in a can of cream of mushroom soup and some parmesan cheese!
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Flank Steak Mongolian Beef
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Ranch Potatoes (With Bacon)
- Shredded Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Slow Cooker Artichoke Mushroom Chicken Turned Out!
Slow Cooker Artichoke Mushroom Chicken
- Add chicken breasts, artichokes, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic, mushrooms, chicken broth, and yellow onions to the slow cooker. Then place the cream cheese on top of everything.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ - 3½ hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and mix everything together.
- Serve while hot over rice.