Warm up your cold days with a bowl of Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup! This smoky, hearty dish combines ham and potatoes in a thick, creamy base, perfect for those chilly days. It's simple to make with everyday ingredients and an easy comfort food that everyone will enjoy!
Popular Right Now
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
During the colder weather months like fall and winter, soups are always on our recipe rotation. It is even better when they can easily be made with the slow cooker for a busy day. In our house, we love the delicious combination of ham and potatoes. Ham and potatoes are a classic combination because of their complementary flavors and textures. The savory, slightly sweet, and smoky taste of ham pairs perfectly with potatoes' earthy, starchy goodness. And it's even better when it's cooked in a creamy broth like in this easy slow cooker ham and potato soup recipe!
Easy Ham Potato Soup
Start by tossing in your potatoes, ham, veggies, and spices into the slow cooker. Let it do its magic on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Near the end, just whisk together cream and flour, then stir it in with some sour cream and cheese, and let it cook for another 15 minutes. You've got yourself a creamy, hearty soup with minimal effort and maximum flavor. Serve with a green side salad or a piece of crusty bread for a well-rounded meal!
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- It's a fantastic way to use up leftover ham from a holiday feast, making it both practical and delicious.
- The leftovers of this soup are just as tasty, making it a convenient option for quick and easy dinners throughout the week.
- You can easily prepare a large batch of this soup and freeze it for later for a comforting meal any time.
- The smoky, creamy, and hearty flavor is a hit for kids and adults.
Ham and Potato Soup Ingredients
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - Add a hearty and creamy texture to the soup, providing a delicious base for the dish.
- Cubed Ham - Brings a savory and smoky flavor to the soup, making it a substantial and satisfying meal with protein.
- Mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion) - A blend of carrots, celery, and onion enhances the soup's depth of flavor, providing a subtle sweetness and aromatic undertones.
- Chicken Broth - Serves as the liquid base, infusing the soup with savory notes and keeping it well-balanced.
- Minced Garlic - Adds a kick of pungent flavor, complementing the overall taste profile of the soup.
- Seasonings (thyme, paprika, black pepper) - The combination of thyme, paprika, and black pepper contributes a medley of spices that elevate the soup's taste and aroma.
- Sour Cream - Lends a creamy and tangy element, giving the soup a luxurious and velvety texture.
- Heavy Cream - Further enhances the soup's creaminess, making it rich and indulgent.
- All Purpose Flour - A thickening agent ensures the soup reaches the desired consistency.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - Adds a final layer of richness and a sharp, cheesy flavor that pairs wonderfully with the other ingredients in the soup.
How To Make Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
Prepare the ingredients: Cube the ham and cut the carrots, onion, and celery into an even-sized small dice. Add them to a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth and add the minced garlic, thyme, paprika, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Thicken the soup: In a medium-sized bowl, add the heavy cream and flour. Whisk until no lumps remain. Then, add the mixture to the crock pot along with the sour cream and cheddar. Stir until combined and cook for an additional 16 minutes.
Serve and enjoy: Once the cheese is melted and the soup has thickened, ladle into bowls while hot and serve. Enjoy!
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Aim for bite-sized pieces to ensure even distribution in every spoonful when cubing the ham.
- To save time, prep the mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion) in advance, or consider using pre-cut vegetables available at the store.
- Slowly whisk the flour into the heavy cream to avoid flour lumps in the soup.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes, as they have a creamy texture that works exceptionally well in this soup.
- For added depth of flavor, sauté the minced garlic briefly in a bit of oil or butter before adding it to the soup.
- Gradually add the heavy cream slurry and sour cream while stirring continuously to achieve a smooth and velvety consistency in your crock pot ham and potato soup.
Flavor Variations and Substitutions
- Try a smoky twist by using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika for a deeper and richer flavor in your slow cooker ham and potato soup.
- Experiment with different types of potatoes, like red or russet, if you don't have Yukon Gold on hand.
- Enhance the soup's nutritional profile by adding chopped spinach or kale during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Spice things up with a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a subtle heat kick.
- For more intense cheese flavor, stir in grated Parmesan or Gouda along with the shredded cheddar.
- Boost the protein content by adding cooked and crumbled bacon or ground sausage.
- Give your soup an earthy note by including sautéed mushrooms in the mirepoix mixture or using mushroom broth instead of chicken broth.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: To freeze, transfer the cooled soup into freezer-safe containers or bags, leaving some space for expansion, and store it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Reheating: To reheat, gently warm the frozen or refrigerated soup in a saucepan over low heat, occasionally stirring to maintain its creamy soup consistency, until it's heated through. Add more broth or water as needed to loosen the liquid.
While fresh potatoes are recommended for the best texture, you can use frozen diced potatoes. Just be aware that frozen potatoes may alter the soup's consistency slightly as they do release more moisture and can have more of a mushy texture.
You can omit the heavy cream or substitute it with a low-fat milk alternative if you prefer a lighter option. The soup will still be creamy a
Yes, you can make this soup gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend or cornstarch as a thickening agent. Ensure all other ingredients are also gluten-free, and you're good to go.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- 2½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes cleaned, rinsed and cut into ¾" pieces
- 1 pound ham Cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion Diced
- 2 large carrots Peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery Chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons garlic Minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese Shredded
- Add the potatoes, ham, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, garlic, thyme, paprika, and black pepper to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy cream and flour. Whisk until well combined. Add flour slurry, sour cream, and cheddar cheese to the slow cooker. Stir and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
*Nutrition information is an estimate. It may vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact ingredient numbers, I recommend calculating them with your preferred nutrition calculator.