With a boxed cake mix, rich chocolate pudding mix, and a slow cooker, you'll get an irresistible Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake dessert with the perfect texture, gooey center, and rich chocolate flavor!
Chocolate lava cake is a decadent dessert that features a rich, moist chocolate cake with a gooey, molten chocolate center. The outer layer of the cake is soft and slightly firm, while the center remains liquid and warm. When served, the cake oozes with a flow of melted chocolate, creating a tasty contrast in textures along with chocolatey goodness in every bite.
Traditionally, chocolate lava cake is made by preparing a from-scratch cake batter, and the center is created by placing a piece of chocolate in the middle of the batter before baking. This method demands careful timing to achieve the perfect balance between a cooked outer layer and a molten center. Using the crock pot along with boxed cake mix and chocolate pudding mix offers a much easier and more convenient alternative. The boxed cake mix eliminates the need for measuring and combining multiple dry ingredients, and the chocolate pudding mix serves as a reliable shortcut to create the lava-like center.
The crock pot provides gentle, even heat distribution, which helps ensure a moist and perfectly cooked cake. This method eliminates the stress of over or undercooking the cake, allowing you to set it and forget it! This slow cooker chocolate lava cake is the perfect dessert recipe for all those chocolate lovers out there.
Once the cake is ready, the fun truly begins with a wide array of topping options. From a dusting of powdered sugar to a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce, the possibilities are endless. To serve, add a scoop of velvety ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a sprinkle of crushed nuts to enhance the flavor and texture. You can even experiment with different flavors by incorporating extracts like mint or coffee into the batter. Chocolate lava cake is a dessert that never fails to bring joy, and the crock pot makes it simple, easy, and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is a simple recipe where a box of chocolate cake mix and a bag of chocolate chips make a chocolate lover's dream.
- With its rich and velvety chocolate cake that hides a gooey, molten center, chocolate lava cake is the epitome of chocolate indulgence!
- The convenience of using boxed cake mix and chocolate pudding mix takes the hassle out of baking, making it an ideal recipe for both beginner bakers.
- The slow cooker method ensures that the cake bakes evenly and gently, resulting in a moist and tender texture that melts in your mouth, while the luscious lava center adds an element of surprise and decadence to each bite.
- With its customizable flavor variations and endless topping possibilities, this recipe allows you to get creative and tailor the dessert to your personal taste.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix - Serves as the base for the lava cake, providing a rich, chocolatey flavor and structure.
- Milk - Adds moisture and helps create a tender texture in the cake batter.
- Eggs - Act as a binding agent, helping to hold the cake together and add richness.
- Vegetable Oil - Contributes to the moistness of the cake, preventing it from becoming dry.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances the overall flavor of the cake, adding a subtly sweet and aromatic note.
- Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix - Used to create the lava-like center of the cake. When cooked, it forms a gooey, chocolatey filling.
- Milk - Used to prepare the chocolate pudding mix and create a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Helps make the lava topping.
How To Make Chocolate Lava Cake In The Crock Pot
Grease the crock pot: To ensure the cake doesn't stick to the sides, generously spray a 6-quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray on the bottom and sides or line the crock pot with parchment paper.
Assemble the cake batter: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Blend with a hand mixer for 2 minutes and pour into the bottom of the crock pot.
Make the chocolate pudding: In another medium, add pudding mix and milk. Whisk until well combined, then drop dollops of pudding all over the cake batter.
Cover and cook: Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the cake batter. Cover with the lid and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Once the cake is finished cooking, spoon into bowls and serve with a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!
- Thoroughly grease the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray before pouring in the batter. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the sides and make it easier to remove and serve.
- When blending the cake batter, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to a dense and tough cake texture.
- To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the cake while cooking, lightly toss them in a small amount of flour before sprinkling them on top of the batter. This will help them stay suspended in the cake and distribute evenly throughout.
- Keep an eye on the cooking time and adjust if necessary. The cooking time mentioned in the recipe is a guideline, as crock pots may vary in temperature. Insert a toothpick into the outer part of the cake during the last 30 minutes of cooking to check for doneness. The toothpick should come out with moist crumbs, but not raw batter.
- Allow the lava cake to cool for a few minutes before serving. This will help the molten center set slightly, making it easier to handle and reducing the risk of burns.
- If you can not find a Super Moist chocolate fudge cake mix. You can substitute it with your favorite devil's food cake mix.
- Add one teaspoon of peppermint extract to the cake batter and garnish the finished lava cake with crushed peppermint candies or a drizzle of chocolate-mint sauce for a mint chocolate lava cake.
- Replace half of the chocolate pudding mix with white chocolate pudding mix, and sprinkle white chocolate chips on top for an indulgent creamy white chocolate twist.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of instant espresso powder in the milk before adding it to the cake batter. This will give your lava cake a subtle coffee undertone that pairs beautifully with the chocolate.
- Stir a cup of chopped toasted nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, into the cake batter for a nutty crunch.
- Customize the toppings by dusting the finished lava cake with powdered sugar, drizzling it with caramel sauce, fudge sauce, fresh berries, or a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Feel free to add your favorite toppings to customize this delicious dessert that the entire family will love.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store, allow it to cool completely, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Before serving, reheat individual portions in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
Freezing: Once cooled, tightly wrap the cake or place it in a freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer the cake to the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the microwave or oven until warmed through before serving.
The difference between molten lava cake and lava cake lies in their names. Molten lava cake refers to the specific texture and appearance of a cake with a gooey, melted center, while lava cake is a broader term encompassing any cake with a flowing or oozing center.
To know when a lava cake is done, you can observe the edges of the cake, which should be set and firm, while the center remains soft and slightly jiggly. A toothpick inserted into the outer part of the cake should come out with moist crumbs, but not raw batter.
Lava cakes are intentionally undercooked in the center to create the molten lava effect. The center is made of a partially cooked batter, usually a combination of chocolate and other ingredients, which remains in a liquid or semi-liquid state when the outer part of the cake is cooked.
More Crock Pot Desserts
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Rolls
- Crock Pot Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Slow Cooker Sticky Buns
- Crock Pot Peach Cobbler With Cake Mix
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1 box Super moist chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (3.9 oz) chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare a 6-quart crock pot by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray!
- Add cake mix, milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Blend with a hand mixer for 2 minutes and pour into the bottom of the crock pot.
- In another medium, add pudding mix and milk. Whisk until well combined, then drop dollops of pudding all over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours!
- Serve with ice cream, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.