Enjoy this twist on traditional lasagna with this easy Crockpot Lasagna Soup recipe! This soup is filled with Italian sausage, ground beef, and a savory tomato broth, all cooked quickly in your slow cooker. Finish it off with a creamy homemade ricotta cheese topping for a meal that'll have you coming back for seconds!
Easy Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Unless you’re buying frozen, cooking lasagna the traditional way could take up a lot of time. With a busy family, we don’t always have that luxury, so using our crock pot to make a hearty dinner that tastes like a classic dish is always welcome!
This crock pot lasagna soup recipe has all the ingredients and flavors of Italian lasagna made in soup form.
Start by browning Italian sausage and ground beef, then combine them with onions, garlic, seasonings, tomato paste, beef broth, and diced tomatoes in your slow cooker. Let it cook on low for 6-8 hours (or 3-4 hours on high), and 30 minutes before it's done, break up lasagna noodles and stir them in with some heavy cream. Once the soup is ready, serve it in bowls, generously adding the cheese mixture on top.
3 Cheese Lasagna Topping
What really makes this recipe stand out is the homemade lasagna filling used as a topping. The lasagna filling is a simple blend of three cheeses: ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan. These cheeses are mixed together to create a creamy and cheesy layer that adds richness and depth to the slow cooker lasagna soup. It enhances the overall flavor, giving each spoonful a cheesy kick that perfectly complements the savory tomato broth and hearty meat.
Classic Italian Dish In Easy Soup Form
- Enjoy the classic Italian flavors of lasagna simplified into a comforting and easy-to-make lasagna soup recipe.
- It's perfect for a cozy family dinner or a comforting meal on a chilly evening.
- The three-cheese topping adds a creamy and indulgent touch, making this soup truly irresistible.
- Treat yourself to a taste of Italy without the hassle of layering pasta sheets – it's that simple and satisfying comfort food!
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Mild Italian Sausage - Infuses the soup with a rich, savory flavor, adding depth and a subtle kick of spiciness to the dish.
- Ground Beef - Contributes to the heartiness of the soup, offering a satisfying meaty texture and taste that complements the Italian sausage.
- Onion and Garlic - Provide aromatic depth and a robust, savory base to the soup, enhancing its overall flavor profile.
- Seasonings (Italian, salt, black pepper) - The combination of Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper season the soup, creating a well-balanced, savory taste with a touch of Italian herbs.
- Tomato Paste - Adds a concentrated tomato flavor and thickness to the soup, enhancing its overall richness and depth.
- Low-Sodium Beef Broth - Serves as the flavorful liquid base of the soup, providing a savory foundation without excessive saltiness.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - Contribute a refreshing tomato element, adding brightness and texture to the soup.
- Lasagna Noodles - When broken into bite-sized pieces, they provide a unique pasta element, soaking up the flavorful broth and creating a lasagna-like experience in each spoonful.
- Heavy Cream - Lends a creamy and indulgent texture to the soup, enriching its overall consistency.
- Cheese Topping (ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan cheese) - The mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese offers a creamy and cheesy finish that crowns the soup with irresistible richness and flavor.
How To Make Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Brown the meat: Add the ground beef and mild Italian sausage to a large skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high. Break apart with a spatula while cooking until the meat is fully browned. Drain off any excess fat, then place the meat crumbles in the slow cooker.
Add broth and seasonings: On top of the cooked meat, add the garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper, salt, tomato paste, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Stir until well combined.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook for 6-8 hours on HIGH or 3-4 hours on LOW.
Add lasagna noodles: Once 30 minutes are left in the cooking time, break up the long lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces. Stir them into the crock pot mixture along with the heavy cream. Continue to cook for 30 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Make the cheese topping: Add the three cheeses in a medium mixing bowl and mix fully with a fork until combined.
Garnish and serve: Ladle the base of the soup while hot into bowls. Garnish with a dollop of cheese topping and a fresh sprinkling of parsley or basil if desired. Enjoy!
- When breaking up the lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces, make them as evenly sized as possible to ensure even cooking and a balanced texture in every spoonful.
- Use low-sodium beef broth to control the saltiness of the soup, allowing you to season it to your preference without overdoing it.
- To prevent overcooking the lasagna noodles, add them to the slow cooker just 30 minutes before the cooking time is complete.
- Stir the soup occasionally during the cooking process to ensure that all the flavors come together properly.
- Don't skip the heavy cream – it adds velvety creaminess to the lasagna soup, enhancing the overall texture and taste.
Flavor Variations and Substitutions
- Use hot Italian sausage for a spicier kick.
- Experiment with different cheese combinations for the topping.
- Add fresh basil leaves or red pepper flakes for enhanced Italian flavor.
- Try smoked mozzarella for a smokier taste.
- Vegan: Replace meat with vegan sausage crumbles or lentils, and use vegetable broth and non-dairy heavy cream or coconut milk.
- Lighter version: Opt for lean ground turkey or chicken, and choose whole wheat lasagna noodles for added fiber. Add diced vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach to add nutrients.
- Vegetarian: Use plant-based crumbles or chopped mushrooms instead of meat and swap out the beef broth for vegetable broth.
Storing & Freezing Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Storing: Keep any leftover lasagna soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Keep the cheese filling and soup base separate.
Freezing: To freeze, portion the cooled soup into freezer-safe containers or resealable bags, removing any excess air. Separate the soup and cheese filling. Label with the date and store in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Reheating: Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave until heated through, stirring occasionally for even warming.
Yes, you can prepare and refrigerate the soup a day in advance. Just add the lasagna noodles and heavy cream 30 minutes before serving to keep them fresh and al dente.
To prevent mushy noodles, add them to the slow cooker only 30 minutes before the soup is done. This way, they will maintain their texture and absorb the flavors without overcooking.
Use them the same way you would use regular lasagna noodles in this recipe. They may take a shorter time to cook, so experiment with adding them 15 minutes before the cooking time is up. The time it takes to cook will depend on if you cook on HIGH or LOW.
More Crock Pot Italian Dinner Recipes
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Did you make this crockpot lasagna soup? Leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound mild Italian Sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles broken into bite size pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely shredded
- Add sausage, ground beef, and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and break apart until browned. Drain off excess grease and add to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper, salt, tomato paste, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before cook time is done. Break up lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces. Add noodles and heavy cream. Stir and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, add ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese to a medium mixing bowl. Mix together with a fork and set aside.
- Add Lasagna soup to bowls and top with cheese topping. Enjoy!
*Nutrition information is an estimate. It may vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact ingredient numbers, I recommend calculating them with your preferred nutrition calculator.