Enjoy this easy Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe! It's a simple weeknight dinner winner with slow-cooked and seasoned chicken, beans, corn, and rice. Just add your favorite burrito toppings for a tasty, stress-free meal for dinner or meal prep throughout the week!
Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
Chicken burrito bowls are basically all of the ingredients you’d find in a burrito but without the tortilla. While they can be made a million different ways, this crock pot burrito bowl is the best way to enjoy them. These bowls are a tasty fusion of tender, slow-cooked chicken, savory beans, sweet corn, and fluffy rice, all coming together in a delicious mixture of flavors.
The best part is you don't have to break the bank at your favorite fast-casual Mexican restaurant. Our homemade version tastes just as good and comes at a fraction of the cost. Say goodbye to overpriced Chipotle or Moe's trips. With this recipe, you'll be able to whip up a batch of delicious burrito bowls in your own kitchen with the help of your crock pot!
Season the chicken, toss it in the crockpot with all the other ingredients, and let it cook. Once cooked, mix in cheese and cooked rice for five more minutes. Top your bowls with the remaining cheese, avocados, and green onions for a deliciously easy meal!
Why You'll Love These Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Save time and money by making customizable burrito bowls right at home, perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
- Customize your bowl with your favorite toppings, allowing everyone to create their perfect meal.
- The slow cooker allows you to throw the ingredients in so they become warm and tender with little effort.
- The ingredients are simple and can be found in any grocery store.
- Use your favorite type of beans or meat to change it up each time you make this recipe.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Ingredients
- Chicken Breast - Serves as the main protein source, becoming tender and flavorful as it slow-cooks in the crockpot.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - The chicken broth adds moisture and enhances the chicken's taste, preventing it from drying out during cooking.
- Yellow Onion - Contributes a savory and slightly sweet flavor, complementing the overall taste.
- Taco Seasoning - Provides a blend of spices and herbs that infuses the chicken and other ingredients with a Mexican-inspired flavor.
- Canned Black Beans - Brings a hearty texture and earthy taste to the burrito bowl, adding protein and fiber.
- Canned Corn - Lends sweetness and a pop of color to the dish, contrasting with the savory flavors.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - Adds a juicy and acidic element, enhancing the overall sauciness of the burrito bowl.
- Canned Green Chilis - Offer a mild heat and a hint of smokiness to the dish, giving it a southwestern kick.
- Black Pepper and Garlic - Enhances the dish's overall flavor, bringing out the natural flavors in the chicken mixture.
- Cheddar Cheese - Adds a creamy and cheesy finish to the burrito bowl, creating a gooey topping.
- Cooked Long Grain Rice - Serves as the base of the dish, providing a neutral foundation to absorb the flavorful chicken and bean mixture while adding a hearty element.
How To Make This Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
Add ingredients to crock pot: Place the chicken, chicken broth, onion, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, green chilies, black pepper, and garlic into the bottom of the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Add cheese and rice: Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken, one cup of cheese, and cooked rice. Stir to combine, then cook for 5 minutes to marry the flavors together.
Serve and enjoy: Ladle the chicken burrito mixture into bowls while hot. Top with remaining cheese, avocados, and green onions. Enjoy!
- Trim excess fat from the chicken breasts and make sure they are all roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
- To make the mixture less thick, drain the canned black beans and rinse thoroughly before adding to the slow cooker.
- Customize the taco seasoning to your preferred spice level by adding more or less depending on your taste.
- Prep your toppings beforehand so you can quickly garnish and serve once the burrito bowl is ready.
- This recipe uses already cooked rice and is not added to the crock pot dry as it will not cook properly. To save time, use microwave rice or leftover crock pot rice.
Flavor Variations and Substitutions
- Add heat with jalapeños or red pepper flakes for a spicier flavor.
- Instead of chicken breasts, use chicken thighs for a more budget-friendly and flavorful option.
- In this chicken burrito bowl recipe, you can use frozen chicken breasts; just allow for more cooking time and add a little less liquid, as the chicken will release more moisture than fresh chicken breast.
- Swap chicken for ground beef or turkey to change up the flavor.
- Skip the meat and double up on black beans, or add sautéed bell peppers and zucchini for a meatless option.
- Try different salsa types like mango, pineapple, or roasted tomato.
- Combine Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or queso fresco for a unique cheese topping.
- Use grilled or roasted corn and fire-roasted canned tomatoes for a sweeter and smokier taste.
- Toss in fresh spinach or arugula for added nutrition and color.
Storing & Freezing Chicken Burrito Bowls
Storing: Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: To freeze, store the chicken mixture separately from the rice and toppings in airtight containers or freezer-safe bags for up to 3 months.
Reheating: When ready to enjoy, thaw frozen portions in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
No, you don't need to brown the chicken before putting it in the crockpot. The chicken will cook thoroughly and become tender during the slow-cooking process.
This depends. The chicken will release its own juices as it cooks, and the low, slow cooking method ensures that it stays moist. This recipe uses low-sodium chicken broth to make sure the chicken stays hydrated while adding flavor.
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for an Instant Pot. Use the "Poultry" setting for 10-12 minutes with a quick release. Add rice afterward and cook for an additional 5 minutes on "Manual" mode.
More Crock Pot Rice Bowl Recipes
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
Chicken Burrito Filling
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole-kernel corn drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 cups long grain rice cooked
Burrito Bowl Toppings
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 avocados peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 green onions chopped
- Add chicken, chicken broth, onion, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, green chilies, black pepper, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken, 1 cup cheese, and cooked rice. Mix until combined and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken burrito bowl filling into bowls and top with remaining cheese, avocados, and green onions.
*Nutrition information is an estimate. It may vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact ingredient numbers, I recommend calculating them with your preferred nutrition calculator.