Warm, comforting, and hearty, Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings is a classic southern dish that is sure to stick to your ribs. This version is made in the slow cooker for an easy and convenient weeknight meal. The chicken is cooked in a creamy broth along with vegetables and biscuit dumplings.
Southern food is known to be hearty and comforting, and Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings is no exception!
Chicken and dumplings is a dish that typically consists of chicken, vegetables, and dumplings. The dumplings are usually made from flour, water, and milk and are dropped into the stew-like mixture while it is cooking to give the dish its unique texture and flavor.
This particular recipe uses a slow cooker, or crock pot, to cook the chicken and dumplings. This makes it easy because you can put all of the ingredients into the pot in the morning and let it cook all day. When you come home from work or errands, dinner will be ready and waiting!
This recipe also uses pre-made biscuit dough for the dumplings. This saves time and is a convenient way to get that fluffy, homemade dumpling texture without making the dough from scratch!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire dish is made with just 10 easy-to-find ingredients.
- Take a shortcut with the dumplings and use pre-made biscuit dough!
- This recipe is hearty and comforting, perfect for a winter night.
- The slow cooker does all the work keeping the dumplings soft and the chicken breast tender and juicy.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - This high protein meat is perfect for the slow cooker and gives the dish a rich chicken flavor.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - Adds additional chicken flavor throughout thinning out the mixture.
- Seasoning - A mix of poultry seasoning, black pepper, and onion powder work together to layer flavor into this southern classic properly.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Gives the soup its rich and creamy texture along with even more chicken flavor.
- Vegetables - Minced garlic paired with a bag of frozen mixed vegetables adds lots of fiber and nutrients this slow cooker meal.
- Sour Cream - Gives this dish a tangy and creamy flavor that adds a great layer of texture.
- Refrigerated Biscuits - Buy premade biscuits to drop into the slow cooker to make fluffy dumplings.
How To Make Chicken and Dumplings In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the chicken: Remove any excess fat from the chicken breast and pat dry with a paper towel. Add chicken to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Prepare the liquid: In a large bowl, add chicken broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper, onion powder, cream of chicken soup, garlic, and mixed vegetables. Stir until well to combine and pour over chicken.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Shred the chicken: Remove the chicken breast from the bottom and shred with 2 forks or your favorite chicken shredding method. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker along with the sour cream and stir to combine.
Add the dumplings: Cut biscuits into fourths and place on top of everything. Cover and continue to cook on high for 1½ - 2 hours. Before serving, make sure the biscuits are completely cooked through. Enjoy!
- This dish is best cooked on high because it helps the biscuits cook through without overcooking the chicken.
- If your slow cooker runs hot, check on the dumplings after 1 hour to make sure they are not overcooking.
- The amount of time it takes to cook this dish will depend on how thick your chicken breasts are. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you want a thinner soup, add an additional cup of chicken broth when you add everything to the slow cooker.
- You can shred chicken in a variety of different ways. Some people prefer to use 2 forks, while others like to cut the chicken into small pieces with a knife. You could also use an electric hand mixer or your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Use frozen chicken breasts: If you forget to thaw the chicken ahead of time, no problem! Just add an extra hour to the cooking time.
- Use chicken thighs: Chicken thighs work great in this recipe and will result in even more tender chicken.
- Add different vegetables: You could use frozen corn, green beans, or peas in place of the mixed vegetables. You could also use fresh vegetables if you prefer.
- Make gluten-free dumplings: Use gluten-free biscuit dough or make your own dumpling recipe to make this dish gluten-free.
- Add a kick of heat: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the liquid ingredients for a little bit of heat.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, leftover chicken and dumplings can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freezing: This dish can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, add cooled chicken and dumplings to a freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Yes, you can use frozen dumplings in this recipe. Just cook them according to the package directions and add them to the slow cooker when you are ready to serve.
There are a variety of sides that go well with chicken and dumplings. Some people like to serve them with mashed potatoes, green beans, or rolls.
This dish can be made healthier by using low-fat milk, lean chicken breasts, and whole wheat flour. You could also add extra vegetables to the dish.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup cup sour cream
- 1 (16 oz) can refrigerated biscuits (8 count)
- Add chicken to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, add chicken broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper, onion powder, cream of chicken soup, garlic, and mixed vegetables. Stir until well combine and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Then, add back into the slow cooker. Add sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Cut biscuits into fourths and place on top of everything. Cover and continue to cook on high for 1½ - 2 hours.
- Before serving make sure biscuits are completely cooked through. Enjoy!