Looking for an easy slow cooker meal that the whole family will love? Try this Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole recipe! This dish is simple to assemble and is made with simple ingredients. It's perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
Tater tot casserole is a popular dish that originated in the United States. It typically consists of ground beef, tater tots, and vegetables that get layered together for a well-rounded meal. This dish is usually baked in the oven, but can also be made in the crock pot!
Making tater tot casserole in the crock pot is a great way to save time. This recipe doesn't take long to prepare! Add frozen tater tots to the bottom of the crock pot, seasoned ground beef, and vegetables. The meal slow cooks in a creamy sauce of cheese and cream of mushroom soup until its warm and ready to eat.
Serve this dinner with a side of garlic bread or a salad for a complete meal. You'll love this slow cooker tater tot casserole for busy weeknights or when you're short on time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This crock pot dinner is made with simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
- It uses a frozen bag of tater tots as the base to save you time.
- The flavor is rich and creamy from the addition of cheese and cream of mushroom soup.
- This is a hearty meal that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Frozen Tater Tots - You can find these in the frozen section of your grocery store where the french fries are.
- Lean Ground Beef - Tater tots pair well with the flavor of lean beef which is also high in satisfying protein.
- Yellow Onion - Adds fresh onion flavor to the dish.
- Milk & Cream of Mushroom Soup - These two ingredients mix together to make a creamy sauce that soaks into all of the ingredients making it rich and delicious.
- Worchestershire Sauce - Adds a salty bold flavor that pairs well with the beef and mushroom soup.
- Yellow Mustard - Gives the dish a layer of tangy flavor that pairs well with Worchestershire.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder help balance and enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Canned Vegetables - A can of whole kernel corn and green beans give this dish a dose of nutrients and fiber along.
- Cheddar Cheese - Gets layered into the dish to add a rich cheesy flavor that melts right in.
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole In The Crock Pot
Cook the ground beef: Add the ground beef to a large skillet along with the onions. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Drain any excess fat and set it aside.
Assemble the sauce: Add the bowl, add milk, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, pepper, salt, and garlic powder to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk to fully combine.
Layer the casserole: Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray, then add half of the frozen tater tots to the bottom. Add half of the ground beef, then one cup of cheese. Add the canned vegetables and the remaining ground beef. Top with the rest of the tater tots, then pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
Slow cook the casserole: Place the lid on top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Plate, serve and enjoy!
- It's important to cook the ground beef and onions before adding them to the crock pot. This will help to remove any excess fat from the beef so that your casserole isn't greasy.
- If you're short on time, you can use pre-shredded cheese. I recommend using freshly shredded cheese for the best flavor, but you can use the bagged cheese if you're in a pinch.
- If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, you can assemble everything in the crock pot and then refrigerate it until you're ready to cook it. Just add an extra hour or two onto the cook time since it will be starting from a cold temperature.
- If you want to make this recipe vegetarian, you can omit the beef and add an extra can of beans or vegetables in its place.
- Instead of lean ground beef, try using ground turkey or chicken.
- Add an extra cup of cheese to the top for a cheesy casserole before cooking.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce if you want a bit of spice.
- You can also swap out the vegetables for your favorites. Try using peas, carrots, or diced potatoes instead!
- Try using different types of frozen tater tots, including the ones with cheese already in them!
- Don't like cream of mushroom? Use cream of chicken or celery soup instead.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, leftover tater tot casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: This casserole can also be frozen! Just remove it from the slow cooker, place it in a freezer-safe dish, and freeze for up to three months. When you're ready to eat it, thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove or microwave.
Yes! You can use cream of chicken or celery soup instead. If you don't want to use canned soup, you can also make a homemade white sauce using flour, butter, and milk.
A green salad or a side of steamed vegetables would be a great addition to this crock pot tater tot casserole.
You can use any vegetables that you like! Some of my favorites are peas, carrots, or zucchini.
More Crock Pot Family Dinner Recipes
- Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
- Crock Pot Hamburger Potato Casserole
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 (32 oz) bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10.5 oz) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (15 oz) green beans (drained)
- 2½ cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and onions. About 5-7 minutes. Drain off excess fat and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray. Then, place half the tater tots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Evenly spread half of the ground beef over the tater tots. Then, sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the ground beef. Next, layer corn and green beans. Top with remaining ground beef.
- Place the remaining tater tops and cover with the sauce. Then, top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!