If you love easy crockpot recipes, you will love this Crock Pot Hamburger Potato Casserole! This simple dinner is made with just a few ingredients and is creamy, beefy, and delicious. Prepare on a slow Sunday or enjoy on a busy weeknight!
Casserole dinners are some of our favorite meals. A casserole is a dish typically baked in the oven with multiple foods layered together, providing a meal that's plated all in one serving.
But, a casserole doesn't have to be made in the oven. You can make it right in your slow cooker! This will not only save you time, but it will also save on electricity and won't heat your house if you decide to make it during the warmer months. And it will also make your whole house smell delicious all day!
This crock pot layered hamburger casserole is made with ground beef and potatoes and is cooked in a creamy mushroom soup for a layer of comfort. Top with shredded cheddar cheese for a cheesy finish.
With simple ingredients and minimal prep, you can have this comforting meal on the table with very little effort!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire dish is made with simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
- You can assemble it the day before to save time on a busy day.
- The rich and comforting flavors make it the perfect meal for a chilly night.
- It’s an easy way to feed a large family or group.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sliced Potatoes - Adds a hearty texture to the dish that soaks up all of the comforting flavors.
- Ground Beef - Gives this crock pot dinner a beefy flavor, protein, and texture.
- Yellow Onion - Adds an overall onion flavor to the dish that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Carrots - Gives this crock pot hamburger casserole a pop of orange color along with texture and natural sweetness.
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup - Adds a mushroom flavor along with a rich creaminess.
- Milk - Helps thin out the liquid in the casserole while keeping it creamy.
- Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning are used to properly flavor the casserole, enhancing it overall.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - The casserole gets topped with shredded cheddar that melts with the heat to provide a delicious melty topping.
How To Make Hamburger Potato Casserole In The Crockpot
Cook the beef and onions: To a large skillet, add the ground beef, saute, and cook until browned. Then, add the chopped onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft. Drain off the fat and set the meat aside.
Assemble the liquid: To a large mixing bowl, add the dried seasonings, cream of mushroom soup, and milk. Whisk until all of the ingredients are fully combined.
Layer the hamburger casserole: Add a layer of sliced potatoes at the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, add half of the ground beef on top. Pour half the liquid mixture, then add sliced carrots and one cup of cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients ending with the cheese.
Slow cook the casserole: Add the lid on top and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Let the casserole cool for 10-15 minutes with the heat off before serving. Enjoy!
- When slicing the potatoes, slice them all roughly the same size. This is an important step when making Crock Pot hamburger potato casserole. This will help ensure they cook evenly. I like to use this Mandolin Slicer with a container to catch everything.
- If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, simply assemble all the ingredients and layer them in the crock pot. Then, when you're ready to cook it, add the lid on top and cook according to the instructions.
- If your ground beef has excess fat, drain it before adding it to the crock pot as this will help keep the final dish from being too greasy.
- This recipe can easily be doubled if you need to feed a larger crowd or want leftovers. Simply double all the ingredients and cook in a crock pot with at least six quarts. The cooking time may need to be increased by an hour or two if you double the recipe.
- To lighten up the fat content in the dish, use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef. You can also use lean ground beef such as 90%.
- If you're looking for more vegetables, feel free to add some frozen peas or corn. Just stir them into the casserole during the last hour of cooking.
- Add a diced jalapeno pepper or red pepper flakes for a bit of spice.
- This meal tastes great when paired with a side of green beans, a tossed salad, or some garlic bread.
- Feel free to change up the cheese and use your favorite. Some other suggestions include mozzarella, pepper jack, or a Mexican blend.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooled leftover casserole can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: This casserole can also be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, allow the casserole to cool completely. Then, add it to a freezer-safe bag or container when you're ready to eat it, thaw in the fridge overnight, and reheat until warm.
Reheating: Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven. If reheating in the oven, place slices of casserole onto a baking sheet and heat at 350 degrees until warm.
You can for some recipes however this recipe requires the meat to be cooked before adding it to the crock pot. This is because there isn't a long cook time, and we don't want the final dish to be greasy or rubbery.
You can try substituting the cream of mushroom soup for a can of Alfredo sauce, though the texture and cooking time may vary from the original recipe.
While you can use any potato you enjoy, russet potatoes are a good option because they're starchy and will hold up well during the cooking process.
More Crock Pot Beef Recipes
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Flank Steak Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot Goulash
- Crock-Pot Meatloaf with Brown Sugar Glaze
Share It & Rate It
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Crock Pot Hamburger Potato Casserole
- 6 small russet potatoes (cleaned, peeled, and thinly sliced)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (sliced into ¼" thick pieces)
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Add ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until browned. Then, add onions and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Onions will become soft and translucent. Drain and set aside.
- Add mushroom soup, milk, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with half of the ground beef. Pour half of the soup mixture over the top. Then top with half the sliced carrots and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low for 7-8 hours.
- Let casserole cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
All of your recipes are fantastic, I just love these...
Thank you so much. I am so glad you are enjoying my recipes.
This was fabulous! I followed the recipe exactly, (minus the italian seasoning because I was out) and it was a huge hit! 10/10. Will absolutely make this again!
I am so glad that you liked it. This is one of those recipes that my entire family loves.
If I cut recipe in half, how long would I cook it?
You will still need to cook it for the same amount of time. So the potatoes and carrots come out tender.