These homemade Crockpot Meatballs are cooked perfectly in your slow cooker, are made with simple ingredients and can be used in various dishes. Whether you're looking for a hearty pasta dish, a tasty sandwich, or some comforting soup, these easy meatballs will do the trick!
Meatballs are always a good idea. They're easy to make, versatile, and can be tailored to your liking. I love that you can make a big batch and have them on hand for different meals throughout the week. And when you cook them in the crock pot, it really doesn't get any easier!
These slow cooker meatballs are made from simple ingredients including ground beef, Italian sausage, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and eggs. Mix everything together, form into balls, and let the crock pot do its job. In just a few hours, you'll have perfectly cooked meatballs ready to be enjoyed!
I like to serve these crock pot Meatballs with pasta and a simple tomato sauce. But they're also great on their own as a snack or appetizer. You can even add them to soups or sandwiches!
However you enjoy them, I hope you give these homemade meatballs a try! Here are some of my favorite recipes to use them in Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs and The Best Grape Jelly & Chili Sauce Crockpot Meatballs.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The slow cooker keeps the meat tender and moist, while other methods could make dry meatballs.
- These meatballs can be used in various dishes, so you'll never get bored eating them!
- You can make a big batch and freeze them for future use.
- They're very easy to make - just mix everything together, shape them into balls, and let the crock pot do its job!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Italian Sausage - Gives the meatballs a meaty texture with a mild spice kick.
- Ground Beef - Blends in with the Italian sausage for the perfect meat combination.
- Italian Bread Crumbs - Helps bind all of the ingredients together to give the meatballs texture and flavor.
- Milk - Helps tenderize the meat and
- Onion - Adds a savory onion flavor to the meatballs.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper help enhance the taste of the meat.
- Eggs - Binds all of the ingredients so they stay in a round meatball shape.
- Chopped Parsley - Adds a pop of green color and garden fresh taste.
- Parmesan Cheese - Gives the meatballs a salty Parmesan cheese flavor.
- Pasta Sauce - Red sauce and meatballs are a great duo giving the meatballs flavor and a nice saucy coating.
How To Make Homemade Meatballs In The Crockpot
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the onion into small pieces and mince the parsley. Add it to a large mixing bowl along with the ground meats, spices, milk, egg, cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Form the meatballs: Using your hands, mix all of the ingredients together just until combined without overworking. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to divide the mixture and roll it into meatballs. Place the meatballs into the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the pasta sauce over the top.
Slow cook the meatballs: Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Remove and serve with your favorite pasta or other dishes. Enjoy!
- Preheat your crockpot on the low setting while you're preparing the meatballs. This will help cook them evenly throughout.
- If you want to brown the meatballs before adding them to the crockpot, cook them in a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat for about minutes per side.
- Use a large spoon or cookie scoop to ensure all meatballs are about the same size. This will help them cook evenly.
- Cover the crockpot with the lid slightly askew so that steam can escape. This will help prevent the meatballs from getting too soggy.
- If your sauce is getting too thick, add a little beef broth or water to thin it out.
- Make mini meatballs for the perfect appetizer!
- Add some veggies to the crockpot like mushrooms, peppers, or zucchini.
- For a spicy kick, add some red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef for a leaner option.
- Swap out the red sauce for a white garlic sauce or Alfredo sauce.
- Instead of using breadcrumbs, try using oats or crushed-up crackers.
- Make them gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs or substituting the oats.
- Add some crumbled bacon to the meatballs for a delicious flavor combination.
Storing: Leftover cooled meatballs can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Freeze meatballs on a baking sheet for about two hours until solidified. Then, transfer to a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat meatballs in the sauce on the stove over low heat until warmed through. Or, place them on a baking sheet and reheat in a 350˚F oven for about 15 minutes.
There are a few key ingredients that help to bind the meatballs and keep them from falling apart. These include eggs, milk, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese. These act as a binder.
Yes! You can either form the meatballs and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours before cooking. Or, you can make them ahead of time and freeze them for later.
Browning the meatballs will give them a little bit of extra flavor, but it's not necessary for cooking them through.
More Italian Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
- Homemade Slow Cooker Meat Sauce For Spaghetti
- Crock Pot Lazy Lasagna with Ravioli
- Creamy Slow Cooker Olive Garden Dressing Chicken Pasta
Share It & Rate It
- 2 (24 oz) bottles pasta sauce (use your favorite)
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a large bowl and gently mix with your hands, careful not to over-mix.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, divide the meat mixture into evenly sized balls. Place uncooked meatballs in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour pasta sauce over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve over your favorite pasta while hot.