This Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is simple to make and requires minimal ingredients and easy steps. In just a few hours, you'll have a thick and creamy soup that is perfect for a cold winter day. Serve it with a sandwich or salad for a complete meal!
When the weather gets colder, soup season is just around the corner! Using the slow cooker to make soup is one of the best ways to enjoy a warm bowl of comfort.
While many soups are brothy and delicious, we love making a nice thick and creamy soup like this easy broccoli cheese soup. Half and half, along with cheddar cheese, make up the creamy base of the soup, providing a smooth and velvety mouthfeel.
It's also packed with nutrient-dense broccoli, onion, and garlic, with added seasonings that bring out all of the natural flavors.
This slow-cooker broccoli cheese soup couldn't be easier to make! Just a few minutes of prep, and then let the crock pot do all the work. We'll walk you through each step so that you can have a warm and comforting bowl of soup ready in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's creamy, rich, and very filling which makes it the perfect meal for a cold winter day.
- This recipe is made in a slow cooker, so it's very easy to make with minimal effort.
- It's packed with nutrients from broccoli, onion, and garlic.
- You can easily customize this recipe by adding additional vegetables or changing up the seasonings.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fresh Broccoli - This cruciferous veggie is the perfect addition to add texture, nutrients, and a fresh broccoli taste.
- Yellow Onion & Garlic - Onion and garlic work together to create an aromatic flavor throughout the soup.
- Butter - Used to add a buttery flavor to the soup and a richer texture.
- Seasonings - A mix of salt, ground black pepper, and paprika all work together to season the soup properly.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - Makes up the liquid base of the soup while adding a comforting chicken flavor.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Gives the soup its sharp cheddar taste that pairs well with the flavor of broccoli.
- Half and Half - Adds an additional creamy texture to the soup while adding a touch of balancing sweetness.
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup In The Crock Pot
Prepare the vegetables: Chop the broccoli, onion, and garlic according to size. Add them to the slow cooker along with the dried seasonings.
Make the slurry: Add the cornstarch and chicken broth to a mixing bowl and whisk until no lumps remain. Pour the cornstarch mixture over the vegetable and seasonings and give it a stir to combine.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or until the broccoli is fork-tender and cooked through.
Add cheese and cream: Add the shredded cheddar cheese and the cream and stir until fully combined. Cover with the lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the cheese is fully melted. Serve hot with a garnish of cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- For best results, freshly shred your cheddar cheese from a block. Storebought shredded cheese contains preservatives that can prevent it from melting fully.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, this recipe can easily be made on the stovetop. Simply cook the soup over medium heat until the broccoli is cooked through. Then, add the cheese and cream and stir until melted.
- For a gluten-free version of this recipe, use gluten-free chicken broth and cornstarch.
- If you want a thinner soup, add an additional cup of chicken broth.
- The soup will thicken as it cools, so if you find it too thick after cooking, add a bit of water or chicken broth and stir until combined.
- Make sure the broccoli is all chopped roughly the same size to ensure that everything cooks evenly simultaneously.
- Add more veggies: Add different types of vegetables to the soup, including carrots, celery, cauliflower, or potatoes.
- Change up the cheese: Try different types of cheese in this soup, including gruyere, provolone, or white cheddar.
- Make it spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the soup for a little bit of heat.
- Make it even more rich: Instead of using half and half, try using heavy cream.
- Lighten it up: For a lower-calorie soup, use skim milk instead of half and half.
- Topping ideas: Top the soup with crumbled bacon, green onions, diced tomatoes, or a dollop of sour cream.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, ladle any leftover soup into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Let the soup cool completely before ladling it into an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave. The texture may be slightly watery when thawed, so you may need to add an additional thickener, such as cornstarch, or blend it with an immersion blender to re-emulsify.
Reheating: The best way to reheat broccoli and cheese soup is on the stovetop over low heat. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each interval.
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli in this recipe. Simply add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Keep in mind that the broccoli will release water as it defrosts so you may need to use less chicken broth.
Yes, you can use Velveeta in place of the cheddar cheese. Simply add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and cook according to the directions.
This soup is delicious when served on its own or with a side of bread or crackers. For a more filling meal, serve it with a sandwich or salad.
More Crock Pot Soup Recipes
- Crock Pot Sausage Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Crock Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups yellow onion (finely diced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 cups half & half
- Add broccoli, butter, yellow onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch and chicken broth. Then pour over the broccoli.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Add cheese and half & half and mix. Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir before serving, and top with more cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply