Tender chicken is slowly cooked with vegetables and broth paired with rice in this Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup. Cozy up to a warm bowl of comfort this Fall with the perfect crockpot family dinner!
Cooler weather means soups and stews are on the rise, and there's nothing better than using your slow cooker to make them!
Chicken and rice soup is a favorite during the Fall and Winter months because it's hearty and filling. This crockpot version is so easy to make and the perfect weeknight meal! Simply add chicken breast, soup veggies, broth, and seasoning to the slow cooker along with rice and let it slowly infuse with flavor.
The result is a comforting bowl of soup that is high and protein and nutrients that will warm you up on a cool day. Serve with some crusty bread or crackers on the side, and enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This slow cooker chicken and rice soup is made with simple ingredients that can be found in any grocery store.
- You can add everything to the slow cooker in the morning and come back to a full satisfying meal.
- Customize this easy soup recipe with your favorite seasonings or vegetables.
- It makes great leftovers for meal prep or lunch throughout the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts make up the base of this soup adding satisfying protein.
- Soup Vegetables - A mirepoix of yellow onion, carrots, and celery serve as the aromatics for this soup providing lots of flavor when slowly cooked.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - The chicken and vegetables get cooked in a flavorful chicken broth to infuse it with even more flavor.
- Minced Garlic - Adds a bold garlic flavor to the soup that pairs well with chicken and rice flavor.
- Italian Seasoning - Gives this soup a layer of herb flavor that gives it a fresh taste.
- Salt & Pepper - Used to balance and enhance the natural flavor of the ingredients.
- Rice - Uncooked rice is added to the crockpot to add a filling starch to the dish.
How To Make Chicken and Rice Soup In The Crockpot
Prepare the ingredients: Remove any excess fat from the chicken breast and pat dry. Prepare the soup vegetables and garlic.
Assemble the ingredients: Add the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, water, garlic, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and let cook on LOW 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2½-3½ hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Add the rice: One hour before the cooking time is finished, pour the uncooked rice in and stir. Continue to cook for the rest of the hour.
Shred and serve: Remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks or your favorite chicken shredding method. Add it back to the crockpot and stir to combine. Serve hot in soup bowls and enjoy!
- If you want more flavor, consider browning the chicken and vegetables in a pan with oil before adding it to the crockpot.
- Short on time? Try using shredded rotisserie chicken breast instead of raw chicken.
- Make sure the vegetables are all chopped roughly the same size to ensure an even cooking time.
- The chicken is fully cooked through when the internal temperature reache 165 degrees F. Use a kitchen thermometer for the best results.
- Instead of shredding the chicken with two forks, try using a hand mixer in a bowl or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Try using brown rice instead of white for a heartier soup with more fiber.
- Add in other vegetables you love such as corn, green beans, or peas.
- Use different seasonings to create a new flavor profile such as Cajun seasoning, curry powder, or taco seasoning.
- Add some spice with a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or diced jalapenos.
- For a creamier soup, stir in some heavy cream or half and half at the end.
- Instead of using chicken breast, change up the protein and use chicken thighs, pork tenderloin, or shrimp.
Storing: Cooled leftover chicken and rice soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Freeze chicken and rice soup in individual portions for quick and easy meals later on. Place cooled soup in freezer-safe bags, remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to six months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: The best way to reheat chicken and rice soup is on the stove over low heat until warm. You can also reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until hot.
No, the rice should be uncooked when you add it to the crockpot. It will cook through in the soup as it's finishing up.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts in this recipe. There is no need to thaw them first. Keep in mind that the cooking time may be longer if you start with frozen chicken.
You can use any rice you enjoy for this recipe. We like white rice, but brown or wild rice would be delicious.
More Comforting Crockpot Soup Recipes
- Crock-Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Crock-Pot Taco Soup
Share It & Rate It
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 large carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, water, garlic, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2½-3½ hours.
- One hour before cooking time is up, add white rice. Cover and continue to cook for one hour.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the slow cooker and mix until well combined.