Game day, party time or any holiday is the perfect excuse to make this delicious Crock Pot Rotel Dip! This creamy dip is loaded with spicy Rotel, Velveeta cheese, and crumbled sausage for a flavorful appetizer that everyone will love!
When you're getting ready to have a party, you are BUSY. There's cleaning to do, guests to prepare for, and lots of cooking! Thankfully, you can lean on the help of your slow cooker to make delicious appetizers like this crock pot sausage dip.
This classic dip is made with just 4 simple ingredients. Spicy Rotel to give it flavor, spice, and a dippable consistency. Velveeta to give the dip a creamy and cheesy taste and texture. Ground sausage adds heartiness, satisfying protein, and taco seasoning to give the dip even more flavor.
Just throw all the ingredients into your slow cooker and let it do its thing! In a few hours, you'll have a hot and creamy dip that's perfect for serving with chips or crackers.
We promise that this dip won't last long at your next party! It's always a hit with guests and is SO easy to make. You can even bring it to a party and become everyone's favorite guest!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's made with 4 simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
- It's easy to assemble! Once the sausage is cooked, throw everything into the slow cooker and let the flavors come together.
- It's a hot and creamy dip that is satisfying and flavorful without much effort.
- This recipe is perfect for game days, parties, or any holiday gathering!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Italian Sausage - This meat adds flavor, texture, and a satisfying protein to the dip that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Velveeta Cheese - This cheese product turns the dip into a creamy rich appetizer with a cheddar taste.
- Rotel - Thins out the dip while also adding tomato flavor along with spice from the green chilies.
- Taco Seasoning - Adds a kick of smoky and spicy Mexican flavors to the dip that give it an overall boost.
How To Make Creamy Rotel Dip In The Crock Pot
Cook the sausage: Heat up a large skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the Italian sausage and break up. Cook until the sausage is browned. This will take about 5-7 minutes. Once cooked through, drain any excess fat and set it aside.
Assemble the dip: Remove the Velveeta from the package and slice into 2 inch cubes with a sharp knife. Add it to the bottom of the crock pot along with the Rotel, taco seasoning, and cooked sausage.
Slow cook the dip: Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on LOW for 2 hours or HIGH for one hour or until the cheese is melted through.
Stir and serve: Give the dip a stir to fully combine the ingredients. Top with chopped parsley or green onions. Set the slow cooker to warm and serve with your favorite crackers, chips, or vegetables. Enjoy!
- The sausage must be cooked before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. The dip will not have the correct flavor or texture if it's not cooked beforehand.
- Make sure the sausage is fully drained before adding it to the crock pot as well. Any excess fat will make the dip greasy and not as enjoyable to eat.
- We recommend using a block of Velveeta cheese for this recipe because it melts down beautifully and gives the dip a smooth texture. If you can't find Velveeta, you could also use another type of cheddar cheese that's been shredded.
- This recipe can also be made on the stovetop! Just follow the same instructions but cook everything in a large pot over low heat until melted and combined. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- For more heat and spicy flavor, use HOT Rotel or add in some diced jalapeno, red chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Instead of Italian sausage, try using other types of ground meat, including beef, turkey, or chicken.
- Have fun with the toppings! In addition to green onions or parsley, try diced tomatoes, black olives, cilantro, shredded cheese, or avocado.
- Add in some creaminess by stirring in a cup of sour cream after the dip has finished cooking.
- Cook up the sausage with chopped onion and garlic to add an even more bold flavor.
- Don't have taco seasoning? Try making this dip with a tablespoon of chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin for a similar flavor.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cooled leftover crock pot Rotel sausage dip can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Freezing: We do not recommend freezing this dip as the cheese may separate and change texture upon thawing. If you still want to freeze it, store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. You may need to add more Velveeta to get it close to the original texture.
Reheating: The best way to reheat this dip is in the crock pot on LOW or WARM until heated through. You could also reheat it in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so, until melted.
This crock pot Rotel sausage dip takes about two hours to cook on LOW or one hour on HIGH. The Velveeta cheese should be melted and combined with the rest of the ingredients.
Yes, you can make this dip up to 24 hours in advance. Just make sure the sausage is cooked and the ingredients are mixed together. Turn the crock pot on to your desired temperature 1-2 hours before serving.
Yes, you can use crock pot liners for this recipe. Just place the liner in the crock pot before adding the ingredients. This will make cleanup a breeze!
Crock Pot Rotel Dip
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 32 oz Velveeta cheese (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1 (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add Italian sausage and cook until brown. About 5-7 mutes. Drain of excess drippings and set aside.
- Add cubed Velveeta cheese, Rotel, sausage, and taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour.
- Stir until well combined and serve with slow cooker left on warm.