This Cheesy Crock Pot Tortellini recipe is the perfect comfort food to warm you up on a chilly night. With a savory combination of ground beef, tangy tomatoes, and gooey mozzarella cheese, this slow cooker dinner is both easy to make AND delicious!
Cheese and tortellini are a match made in heaven, and this crock pot recipe brings out the best of both worlds. The cheese-filled tortellini brings a rich, savory flavor to the dish, while the melted mozzarella cheese creates a gooey, indulgent texture. When combined, these two ingredients create a deliciously comforting meal that is perfect for any occasion.
The ingredients for this recipe are simple yet flavorful. The ground beef adds a hearty, protein element to the dish, while the garlic and onions enhance the natural flavors in the dish. Pasta sauce and diced tomatoes create a savory sauce base that perfectly complements the tortellini and cheese. Mozzarella cheese is the star of the show, melting perfectly into the dish and creating a rich, cheesy flavor.
The crock pot is the perfect way to make this cheesy tortellini recipe when you're in need of something quick, comforting, and satisfying. Simply toss the ingredients into the slow cooker and let it simmer away. The low and slow cooking method allows the flavors to come together and intensify, creating a deliciously rich and savory pasta dish with little effort! Perfect for a weeknight when you need something quick but satisfying enough for a slow weekend meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe is the ultimate comfort food, with tender tortellini and melted mozzarella cheese creating a rich and satisfying flavor.
- It's incredibly easy to make, requiring just a few simple ingredients that you can find in any grocery store to add to the crock pot and let cook low and slow.
- The combination of ground beef, diced tomatoes, and pasta sauce creates a robust and savory flavor that perfectly complements the cheesy tortellini, making each bite packed with Italian flavor.
- This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you want something delicious and comforting without spending hours in the kitchen. Plus, it makes great leftovers for lunch the next day!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef - Adds a meaty and hearty element to the dish, as well as providing protein and depth of flavor.
- Frozen Tortellini - Serves as the base of the dish, providing a comforting and filling texture that pairs perfectly with the melted mozzarella cheese.
- Garlic & Onion - Adds a savory and aromatic element to the dish, creating a rich flavor profile.
- Jarred Pasta Sauce - Provides the base of the sauce, giving a robust and tangy flavor that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - Adds a bright and fresh flavor to the dish, as well as providing a slightly chunky texture in the sauce.
- Seasonings - Red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and black pepper add a depth of flavor and a subtle kick of heat to this tortellini meal.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese - Melts perfectly into the sauce and tortellini, creating a gooey and indulgent texture that is creamy and satisfying.
How To Make Cheesy Crock Pot Tortellini
Brown the beef: Add the ground beef to the skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Add in the prepared garlic and onion. Break up the beef with a spatula and cook until no pink color remains and the vegetables are softened. Drain the fat off the beef mixture and add to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Assemble the dish: To the beef mixture, add the jarred pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix until well combined.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. Add the remaining cheese on top and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Serve while hot, and enjoy!
- Drain the fat from the cooked ground beef before adding it to the slow cooker. This will prevent the dish from becoming too greasy or oily.
- To prevent the tortellini from sticking together, be sure to give the mixture a good stir after adding it to the slow cooker. This will ensure the tortellini is evenly coated in the sauce and cheese.
- For a crispier and more golden cheese topping, you can transfer the pasta to an oven-safe dish. Place it in the oven and broil for a few minutes after cooking.
- For a vegetarian version of this recipe, swap out the ground beef for a meatless ground beef substitute, such as Beyond Meat or Quorn.
- Add some extra veggies to the dish, with sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini, along with the onions and garlic. This will add some additional nutrients and flavors.
- Add some shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese to the mixture along with the mozzarella to add a sharp and tangy flavor.
- Stir in some heavy cream or half and half after the dish has finished cooking. This will create an even more rich and decadent sauce.
- Swapping out the cheese tortellini for a different type of pasta, such as penne or rigatoni. Adjust the cooking time and amount of sauce accordingly.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Allow any leftovers to cool to room temperature and then transfer them to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, add a splash of water or milk to the dish to help loosen up the sauce and prevent the pasta from drying out.
Freezing: Transfer cooled leftovers to a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat it in the microwave or stovetop. Note that the texture of the pasta may be slightly different after freezing and reheating.
Pair cheese tortellini with breadsticks, a green side salad, or a toasted piece of garlic bread.
Yes, tortellini can be overcooked if it's in hot water for too long, whether it's in the crock pot or boiling in water. Be sure to check the doneness frequently to ensure it doesn't become too mushy or soggy.
More Crock Pot Pasta Dishes
- Crock Pot Sausage, Spinach, and Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Crockpot Tortellini
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Crock Pot Goulash
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Cheesy Crock Pot Tortellini
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, garlic, and onions. Cook until no pink remains. Drain fat and add to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add tortellini, pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve while hot, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.