This Crock Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup is creamy, hearty, and perfect for a chilly day! It's made with simple ingredients to create an easy gnocchi soup that's high in protein and packed with flavor! Your family will beg for this easy soup recipe for dinner.
Chicken gnocchi soup is one of the most comforting meals you can make using your slow cooker. It's creamy, filling, and has all the flavors of a classic gnocchi dish!
Gnocchi is a type of Italian dumpling that is typically made with potatoes, flour, and eggs. It can be found in the pasta aisle of most grocery stores or in the frozen section.
You can serve it with different sauces, or you can throw it in the crockpot along with these simple ingredients including chicken breast, spinach, soup veggies, and cream to make a delicious soup.
This easy gnocchi soup is similar to what you'll find on the menu at Olive Garden, but we think this recipe is much better! You can control the ingredients and make it as healthy or indulgent as you'd like.
Serve it up with a crusty piece of Italian bread and enjoy a warm bowl of comfort that takes little effort!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No babysitting! Once the ingredients are in, you can let them slow cook while you get on with your busy life.
- The ingredients are simple and can be found in most grocery stores.
- You can change up the flavor by adding different herbs, greens, or even different flavors of gnocchi.
- It makes the perfect weeknight meal or easy lunch throughout the week!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - Adds protein to the soup along with a hearty texture and comforting chicken flavor.
- Soup Vegetables - You'll need a mix of chopped celery, shredded carrots, diced white onion, (mirepoix), and mixed garlic to properly flavor the base of the soup.
- Chicken Broth - Used to create the liquid part of the soup while adding additional flavor and nutrients.
- Salt & Pepper - Balances and enhances the overall flavor of the soup and can be adjusted to taste.
- Dried Herbs - A mix of dried thyme and Italian seasoning adds a layer of herb flavor to the dish.
- Potato Gnocchi - This gnocchi is made with potato and flour and can be found in the pasta aisle of most grocery stores.
- Half & Half - Creates a creamy texture and mildly sweet flavor to the soup.
- Baby Spinach - Adds a pop of green color, fresh garden taste, and nutrients to the soup.
How To Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup In The Crock Pot
Slow cook the vegetables and chicken: Add the prepared vegetables to the slow cooker along with the chicken breast, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Cover with the lid and let it cook for 3-4 hours on LOW or 6-8 hours on HIGH.
Shred the chicken: Once there's an hour left of cooking time, remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker with tongs. Place on a cutting board and shred. Then, add the chicken back to the crockpot.
Add the cream, pasta, and spinach: After adding the chicken, add the potato gnocchi, half & half, and baby spinach. Give the mixture a stir to fully combine.
Warm and serve: Continue cooking for one hour. Give it another stir, then pour into soup bowls and serve hot.
- Be sure to add the spinach in last as adding it too early will cause it to overcook and turn brown.
- If you like your soup thicker, mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water until no lumps remain. Then stir it into the soup until it thickens.
- The total cooking time will depend on your individual crock pot as some tend to have different levels of heat. To make sure your soup is fully cooked, use a kitchen thermometer on the thickest part of the chicken to ensure it's at a safe internal temperature of 165F.
- After removing the chicken from the crockpot, you can shred it using two forks, or meat claws, or by placing it in the bowl of your stand mixer and mixing using the paddle attachment.
Flavor Variations & Substitutes
- Instead of using chicken breast, you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They will fully cook a bit faster than whole chicken breasts.
- Add a kick of heat by sprinkling in some red chili flake along with the dried herbs.
- Instead of using half and half, you can also use heavy cream or whole milk.
- If you can't find gnocchi at your local grocery store, you can also use small pasta shapes like ditalini, shells, or elbow macaroni. Cook the pasta separately, then add to the crockpot when you add the shredded chicken back in.
- Instead of spinach, try using other nutrient-dense greens such as kale, Swiss chard, or collard greens.
- Try using other flavors of gnocchi including sweet potato, cauliflower, cheese, or even pumpkin gnocchi.
Storing: Cooled leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: This soup can also be frozen for up to three months. Place cooled soup in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag with as much air removed as possible. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: To reheat, simply add the soup back into a pot on the stove over low heat. Stir occasionally until it's heated all the way through. You may need to add a splash of water or chicken broth to thin it out as it reheats. Serve hot.
If you like your soup thicker, mix one tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water until no lumps remain. Then stir it into the soup until it thickens. You can also use arrowroot starch or tapioca starch instead of cornstarch.
Yes! You can absolutely use frozen gnocchi in this recipe. There's no need to thaw it before adding it to the soup.
No, but if you have pre-cooked chicken on hand, it will shorten the cooking time. Simply add the prepared vegetables to the slow cooker along with the chicken breast, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Cover with the lid and let it cook for four hours on HIGH.
More Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes
- Crock-Pot Meatloaf with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Slow Cooker Flank Steak Mongolian Beef
- Crock-Pot Taco Soup
- Creamy Slow Cooker Olive Garden Dressing Chicken Pasta
- Crock Pot Lazy Lasagna with Ravioli
- Original Mississippi Chuck Roast (Slow Cooker Recipe!)
Did You Like This Crock Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe?
Crock Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 chicken breasts)
- 2 celery stock (chopped)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup whited onion (diced)
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) package of potato gnocchi
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken celery, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, thyme, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- One hour before cook time is finished. Shred the chicken in the pot and add the gnocchi, half & half, and baby spinach. Stir everything together. Then, cover and continue to cook.