This Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is packed with protein from eggs and bacon and contains plenty of nutrient-rich vegetables. Prepare it the night before and have a delicious breakfast that will feed your family or feed a crowd!
Pin This Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole For Later!
Eggs are a great way to start the day. Not only are they a good source of protein, but they also contain essential nutrients like vitamin D, choline, and selenium.
Add in some bacon for extra flavor, and you've got a breakfast that will satisfy even the most hearty of appetites.
This slow cooker breakfast casserole is packed with eggs, bacon, and vegetables. And it's easy to make! Simply combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and let it do its magic overnight. You'll have a delicious, hot breakfast ready to eat in the morning that will keep you going throughout the day!
Serve with freshly squeezed juice or some buttered toast, and you've got a full meal that's great for brunch or to make for meal prep throughout the week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This slow cooker breakfast casserole can be prepped the night before so you can enjoy the morning. It will be perfect when you cook it overnight.
- It contains high protein and fiber, keeping you full and satisfied throughout the day.
- You can customize the meat and vegetables to fit your taste preference.
- No babysitting! No need to sit over the stove with a skillet cooking eggs one by one. The slow cooker cooks this hearty breakfast all at once!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cooked Bacon - Eggs and bacon are the perfect breakfast combination. Bacon gives this casserole a smoky, salty flavor that everyone will enjoy.
- Frozen Hashbrown Potatoes - This gives the dish texture, structure, and a rich potato taste.
- Green Onions - Adds a mild onion flavor along with a pop of green color throughout.
- Cheddar Cheese - Adds salty cheddar flavor throughout the dish, making it taste like a delicious omelet.
- Bell Peppers - Red and green bell peppers add a hefty dose of garden fresh taste along with natural sweetness and texture.
- Eggs - The star of the show, eggs not only add lots of nutrients, but they also hold all of the ingredients together and set the casserole.
- Half & Half - Gives the egg mixture a creamy, rich texture and helps smooth them out.
- Dried Seasonings - A simple blend of salt, pepper, and garlic powder balance and enhance the flavor of the casserole.
How To Make Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
Cook the bacon: Add a large skillet to the stovetop over medium heat. Add the bacon and saute until cooked and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Slice into pieces and add them to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Assemble the ingredients: Add the frozen diced potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and cheddar cheese (reserving some) along with the bacon. Stir to distribute evenly.
Assemble the egg mixture: Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and whisk until beaten. Then, add the dry seasonings, half and half, and whisk until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and vegetables. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
Slow cook the casserole: Add the lid to the top of the crock pot and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 2.5-3 hours timing it so its ready for breakfast. Once the eggs are fully cooked through, slice, plate, and enjoy!
- Make sure you are buying frozen diced potatoes for this recipe as if they are fresh, they may not cook before the eggs dry out.
- If you are serving this casserole early in the morning, prep the ingredients and night and cook on LOW to be ready when you wake up.
- If you're worried about the casserole sticking to the crock pot, spray non-stick spray on the bottom before adding the ingredients.
- Chop all of the vegetables roughly the same size so they cook evenly and so you get each in every bite!
Use other meats: Diced ham, breakfast sausage, or turkey bacon make a great addition or substitution for bacon in this dish.
Switch up the vegetables: Change out the veggies for whatever you have on hand. Try broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, or yellow squash.
Add some spice: A pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes can give this dish a little bit of heat!
Add fresh herbs: Change up the flavor by stirring in some chopped fresh parsley, basil, or thyme.
Use different types of cheese: Any cheese that melts well will taste great in this recipe. Try Swiss, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack.
Garnish the top: Once it's finished, drizzle with hot sauce, add a dollop of sour cream or sprinkle on some chopped green onions.
Storing: Cooled leftover casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Slow cooker breakfast casserole can be frozen for up to three months. Remove the pieces from the slow cooker and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and label with the name and date. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: Slow cooker casserole can be reheated in the microwave, covered, on 50% power for about two minutes per serving, stirring once during cooking. You can also reheat it in the oven! Preheat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake until heated through 15-20 minutes.
It usually takes about two hours on LOW or 30-60 minutes on HIGH for the eggs to cook through. Adding additional ingredients like in this casserole will make a longer cooking time.
You can! Just leave out the bacon and add extra vegetables for a vegetarian breakfast casserole.
You can, but it's not recommended as the eggs will set in the shape of the liner which can make the casserole uneven.
If you love making breakfast in the crock pot, try out our Crock Pot French Toast Casserole or Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls!
Share It & Rate It
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb bacon (cooked, drained and cut into small pieces. You can also use ham or sausage.)
- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen hash browns
- 4 green onions (diced)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded and ½ cup reserved)
- ½ cup red bell pepper (diced)
- ½ cup green bell pepper (diced)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Drain and slice and add to the slow cooker.
- Add hash brown, onions, 1½ cups of cheese, and bell peppers. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs and whisk until well combined. Then, add half & half, salt, pepper, and garlic. Whisk together until well combined. Evenly pour over the hash browns.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 2 ½ – 3 hours.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply