With savory breakfast sausage, diced vegetables, two kinds of cheese, and the convenience of your trusty crock pot, this easy recipe for Crock Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole dish will revolutionize your morning routine with a satisfying meal everyone can enjoy!
Crock Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Holiday breakfasts are a joyous occasion filled with festive flavors and the comfort of cherished classics. Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts: Best Buttermilk Pancakes, Crock Pot French Toast, or Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls.
If you're on the hunt for a morning meal that's both comforting and easy to make, then you must try making a tater tot casserole for breakfast. A tater tot casserole is a delicious and hearty dish made with layers of crispy tater tots, typically combined with various ingredients like meat, vegetables, and cheese. It's a popular comfort food that's easy to prepare and perfect for feeding a crowd or enjoying a cozy family meal and can be made using your favorite breakfast foods!
Making breakfast tater tot casserole in the crock pot is a game-changer for busy cooks with busy families. Start by layering half of the frozen tater tots at the bottom of the crock pot. Then, mix browned breakfast sausage, diced onions, red bell peppers, minced garlic, and a generous amount of shredded cheddar and pepper Jack cheese in a bowl, forming a flavorful filling. This mixture is then spread over the tater tots, followed by a creamy egg mixture.
Slow-cooking the casserole in the crock pot for a few hours allows all the flavors to marry together, resulting in a rich, satisfying breakfast dish with minimal effort. The crock pot's gentle, even heat ensures that each layer is cooked perfectly, and the convenience of this method means you can set it and forget it, making it an ideal choice for busy mornings or when you want a no-fuss, delicious breakfast casserole to feed a crowd!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tater Tot Casserole contains layers of crispy tater tots, savory sausage, and a medley of colorful vegetables, all topped with gooey, melted cheese; what’s not to love?
- With the convenience of a crock pot, you can simply assemble the ingredients, set it to cook, and return to a fully cooked breakfast in the morning.
- Whether you're hosting a brunch gathering or making your family a hearty breakfast, this tater tot casserole for breakfast is always a good idea.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Breakfast Sausage - Adds a savory and meaty element to the casserole, infusing it with rich flavors.
- Frozen Tater Tots - Serve as the base of the casserole, providing a crispy and golden layer that holds the dish together while adding a satisfying potato element.
- Vegetables (Yellow Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Minced Garlic) - Add aromatic flavors and vibrant colors to the casserole, enhancing its taste and color.
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar and Pepper Jack) - The combination of cheddar and pepper jack cheese brings a delightful creaminess and a perfect blend of mild and spicy flavors.
- Eggs - Forms the binding agent that holds all the ingredients together, creating a soft and fluffy texture as they cook.
- Half and Half - Contributes to the creaminess of the egg mixture, resulting in a velvety texture.
- Salt & Pepper - Brings out the flavors of the other ingredients, enhancing the overall taste.
- Dried Parsley - Adds a pop of green color and a subtle herb flavor.
How To Make Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole In The Crock Pot
Prepare the breakfast sausage: Over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Brown sausage until there is no longer any pick. Drain off the grease and set aside.
Layer the ingredients: Spray the crock pot with a non-stick cooking spray. Then layer half of the tater tots on the bottom. Add cooked sausage, onions, bell pepper, garlic, and half of each cheese in a large bowl. Mix until well combined and spread over the tater tots.
Assemble the egg mixture: To a medium bowl, mix the eggs, half and half, pepper, parsley, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour egg mixture over sausage and tater tots. Layer the remaining tater tots over the top.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ – 3 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cook time, cover with the remaining cheese and continue to cook. Garnish with fresh chopped green onions, and enjoy!
- To prevent the tater tots from sticking to the bottom of the crock pot, make sure to generously spray the pot with non-stick cooking spray before layering the ingredients.
- For added depth of flavor, sauté the diced onions and red bell peppers in a little oil until softened before adding them to the casserole.
- To ensure even cooking and prevent the eggs from becoming rubbery, whisk the egg mixture thoroughly before pouring it over the casserole.
- The casserole is fully cooked when the tater tots are no longer frozen, and the eggs are set right through the middle. The time it takes to cook in the crock pot can vary depending on it's size and the ingredients used.
- For a lighter twist, use turkey breakfast sausage instead of traditional pork sausage, reducing the fat content.
- For a meat-free option, swap the breakfast sausage with crumbled plant-based sausage or seasoned tofu cubes. Add an assortment of sautéed vegetables like mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini for a hearty and flavorful veggie casserole.
- Transform the casserole into a Tex-Mex flavor by using seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken as the protein. Add a can of drained black beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and a sprinkle of taco seasoning.
- Experiment with breakfast-for-dinner by adding cooked and crumbled bacon to the sausage mixture to add more hearty protein.
- Swap the sausage for diced cooked ham and add blanched broccoli florets to the vegetable mix. Use a mix of cheddar, Swiss, and Gouda cheeses for a different flavor profile.
- Use buffalo sauced ground chicken or turkey as the protein. Toss the tater tots in buffalo sauce before layering them in the crock pot. Top the casserole with blue cheese crumbles and serve with a side of cool ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store any leftovers, allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate the casserole for up to 3-4 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or reheat the entire casserole in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through.
Freezing: Remove portions of the breakfast casserole from the crock pot, then place them in freezer-safe bags or airtight containers. The casserole can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, and then reheat it in the oven at a low temperature until heated through. The texture of the tater tots and eggs may change when thawed.
Frozen tater tots must be used in this casserole as fresh potatoes will take too long to cook, which will make the egg mixture overcooked and rubbery by the time the potatoes are fully cooked.
Yes, if you don't have half and half, you can use your favorite milk or heavy cream. Keep in mind that the texture will be different depending on the thickness of the milk used.
Yes, you can prep the casserole the night before by layering all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cover it and refrigerate overnight, then simply turn on the crock pot in the morning and cook on high for the recommended time.
More Crock Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- Crock Pot French Toast
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Crock Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen tater tots (divided in half)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided in half)
- 1½ cups pepper Jack cheese (shredded and divided in half)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- Over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Brown sausage until there is no longer any pick. Drain off the grease and set aside.
- Spray the crock pot with a non-stick cooking spray. Then layer half of the tater tots on the bottom.
- Add cooked sausage, onions, bell pepper, garlic, and half of each cheese in a large bowl. Mix until well combined and spread over the tater tots.
- Add eggs, half and half, pepper, parsley, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour egg mixture over sausage and tater tots.
- Layer the remaining tater tots over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 ½ – 3 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cook time, cover with the remaining cheese and continue to cook.
- Garnish with fresh chopped green onions, and enjoy!
*Nutrition information is an estimate. It may vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact ingredient numbers, I recommend calculating them with your preferred nutrition calculator.