This Slow Cooker Lasagna is easy to assemble and is packed with a comforting flavor. Great for a weeknight meal or a slow Sunday dinner and can be tailored to your tastebuds!
Lasagna is one of those classic comfort foods that never seems to go out of style. It's a classic Italian dish that typically consists of layers of pasta, meat, and cheese that has lots of traditional Italian flavor!
There are many different ways to make lasagna, but the slow cooker method is one of the easiest. Simply layer the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it work its magic. No need to precook the noodles or watch it closely while it bakes. This makes it perfect for a busy weeknight or hearty enough to serve at a big Sunday meal.
And, this easy crockpot lasagna recipe is easy to customize to your liking! Add different types of sauce, change up the meat or cheese, or even add a zesty kick of heat. No matter how you enjoy your lasagna, this slow cooker recipe is sure to end up on your dinner rotation!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire recipe is made with simple ingredients that can be found at any grocery stores.
- No need to pre-cook the noodles, just layer and go!
- This slow cooker lasagna is easy to customize with your favorite sauce, meat, and cheese.
- It’s a hearty and filling meal that the whole family will love!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Meat - A mix of ground beef and Italian sausage add flavor, texture, and protein to the dish.
- Garlic - No Italian dish would be complete without freshly minced garlic cloves throughout.
- Seasonings - A mix of onion powder and ground black pepper enhance the natural flavors of the lasagna.
- Pasta Sauce - Layer the lasagna with your favorite red sauce. (I used Prego traditional)
- Mozzarella Cheese - This melty Italian cheese gets layered into the dish for a creamy layer of texture and flavor.
- Lasagna Noodles - Helps keep the layers separate while adding a hearty chew to the dish.
- Cheese - Three kinds of cheese make this filling wonderfully salty and melty, including mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and soft ricotta cheese.
- Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning gives the cheese filling a boost of Italian flavor along with freshly minced garlic.
- Eggs - Help binds the filling together, which keeps it in place as it cooks, forming perfect cheesy layers.
How To Make Lasagna In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the slow cooker: Spray a 6-quart slow cooker non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Cook the meat and seasonings: In a large skillet, add ground beef, sausage, garlic, black pepper, and onion powder. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned and no longer pink. Drain off excess fat, then add pasta sauce and stir until well combined.
Assemble the cheese filling: In a large bowl, add Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
Layer the lasagna:
- Add ¾ cup of prepared meat sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker and spread out evenly. On top of the meat sauce, layer 5 noodles cutting them to cover the sauce completely.
- Reserve 1½ cup of the meat sauce and set it aside. Then, add ½ of the remaining sauce on the noodles and spread out evenly. Next, add ½ of the prepared cheese filling and spread out evenly.
- Then, add 5 more noodles cutting them to cover the first layer completely. Add the other half of the sauce and spread it out evenly. Next, add ½ of the prepared cheese filling and spread out evenly. Add remaining noodles and cover with reserved meat sauce.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and let the lasagna cook on LOW for 4 hours.
Add mozzarella and serve: Turn off the slow cooker. Evenly spread 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese over the cooked lasagna. Cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Use a spatula to cut into the layers breaking up the noodles to serve in pieces. Enjoy!
- For this recipe, there is no need to cook the lasagna noodles beforehand as they will cook in the slow cooker as the lasagna cooks.
- The meat does need to be cooked beforehand to ensure the fat does not end up in the lasagna which will give it a greasy texture.
- Be sure to cover the noodles with sauce completely; this will help prevent them from drying out.
- This lasagna is mostly cooked, so be sure not to cook over four hours as the lasagna may become overcooked.
- The mozzarella cheese gets added 15 minutes after cooking to help it set properly so it serves easier.
Variations & Substitutions
- Use different types of meat: Instead of ground beef and Italian sausage, try using ground turkey or chicken.
- Make it vegetarian: To make this dish meatless, simply omit the recipe's ground beef and Italian sausage. You can use plant-based meat crumbles or crumbled tofu instead.
- Try different sauces: Use alfredo sauce, vodka sauce, or a cream-based sauce instead of tomato sauce.
- Add vegetables: Mix in some veggies to the meat sauce like diced mushrooms, onions, or zucchini. You could also layer in some spinach leaves or other greens.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten free lasagna noodles in this recipe. Be sure to check the labels on your other ingredients to ensure they are gluten free as well.
- Spice it up: Add some crushed red pepper flakes to the meat sauce or cheese filling for a little bit of heat.
- Try other types of cheese: While mozzarella cheese is most used in lasagna, you could try using Swiss, cheddar, or pepper jack cheese instead.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftover slow cooker lasagna can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Allow the lasagna to cool completely, then slice and place in freezer-safe bags. Freeze for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, reheat individual slices in the microwave or thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat in a 350-degree oven until warmed through.
This recipe is packed with protein and vegetables, making it a fairly nutritious dish. If you are looking for a healthier version, you could use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef, omit the sausage, and use a tomato sauce with no added sugar. You could also add in extra vegetables like mushrooms, onions, or zucchini.
Yes, you can! Assemble the lasagna according to the recipe instructions then cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, place in the slow cooker and cook according to the recipe instructions.
There are a few things that could cause this. Be sure to cover the noodles with sauce as this will help them not dry out. Also, ensure you are not overcooking the lasagna as this will cause the noodles to release more water. Finally, check the seals on your slow cooker and ensure they are tight so no steam is escaping.
I don't have a slow cooker, can I make this in the oven?Yes, you can! Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, then assemble the lasagna according to the recipe instructions. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the lasagna is cooked.
More Slow Cooker Italian Recipes
- Crockpot Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
- Homemade Slow Cooker Meat Sauce For Spaghetti
- Crock Pot Lazy Lasagna with Ravioli
- Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli
Share It & Rate It
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 3 tsp garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 (24 oz) jars pasta sauce (I used Prego traditional)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1½ cups parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 (32 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 (12 oz) box oven ready lasagna noodles
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker non stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef, sausage, garlic, black pepper, and onion powder. Cook until browned and no longer pink. About 5-7 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Add pasta sauce and stir until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- Add ¾ cup of prepared meat sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker and spread out evenly. On top of the meat sauce layer 5 noodle cutting them to completely cover the sauce.
- Reserve 1½ cup of the meat sauce and set aside. Then, add ½ of the remaining sauce on the noodles and spread out evenly. Next, add ½ of the prepared cheese filling and spread out evenly.
- Then, add 5 more noodles cutting them to completely cover the first layer. Add the other half of the sauce and spread out evenly. Next, add ½ of the prepared cheese filling and spread out evenly.
- Add remaining noodles and cover with reserved meat sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Then, evenly spread 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese over the cooked lasagna. Cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. This will allow everything to set up so it is easier to serve.