Looking for an easy way to cook turkey breast? Look no further than your crock pot! This Slow Cooker Turkey Breast recipe is easy to follow and yields a delicious, tender, juicy protein that's perfect for a weeknight dinner or special occasion feast!
Turkey is enjoyed year-round but is especially popular during the holidays. Turkey breast is a great option for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of cooking a whole turkey. It's also much leaner than dark meat, making it a healthier option. When cooked properly, turkey breast is just as moist and flavorful as dark meat!
The slow cooker is a great way to prepare turkey breast because it's virtually hands-off cooking. You simply season the turkey breast, place it in the crock pot, and let it cook until tender. No basting required!
Once its finished, carve it into slices or shred it for other recipes. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No need to worry if you've overcooked or undercooked the turkey, it comes out perfect every time!
- Great for a smaller gathering when you need a satiating protein but don't want to cook a whole turkey.
- It's an easy, hands-off recipe that frees up your oven for side dishes on busy holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- You can season it any way you like!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boneless Turkey Breast - This high-protein meat can be found in the grocery store during the holidays. You can also find it year-round in the frozen section.
- Celery and Onion - Adds aromatic flavor throughout the turkey as it slowly cooks.
- Butter - Melted butter binds the seasonings together and gives it a buttery flavor.
- Salt and Pepper - A basic blend of salt and ground black pepper balance and enhance the natural flavor of turkey breast.
- Paprika - Adds a dash of color to the turkey as well as a touch of sweetness and smokiness.
- Garlic Powder - These dried spices impart a strong garlic and onion flavor without the need to chop them fresh.
- Dried Herbs -A mix of dried thyme and dried rosemary add a layer of herb flavor to the turkey.
How To Make Turkey Breast In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the celery and onion into large pieces. Pat the turkey breast dry with a paper towel. Add the vegetables to the bottom of the crock pot, then place the turkey breast on top.
Season the turkey breast: In a small bowl, add all rub ingredients and mix together. Rub all over the turkey breast on all sides.
Add the lid and slow cook: Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. For the juiciest turkey, I recommend cooking it on low.
Rest and slice: Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
- The safe internal temperature for turkey breast is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- If you don't have celery and onion on hand, you can use other aromatics like carrots, garlic cloves, or even lemons.
- To keep the turkey breast extra moist while cooking, you can baste it with pan juices or chicken broth every few hours.
- If your turkey breast comes with skin on, you can crisp it up before serving by broiling it in the oven for a few minutes.
- For best results, cook the turkey breast on low. This will ensure that it doesn't dry out while cooking.
- Change up the seasonings: If you don't have all the spices called for in the recipe, you can use Cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning, Italian Seasoning, or any blend you enjoy.
- Add some liquid: You can also add 1 cup of chicken broth, white wine, or water to the slow cooker before cooking. This will help keep the turkey breast moist while it cooks.
- Bone-in Turkey Breast: You can also use a bone-in turkey breast for this recipe, just adjust the cook time accordingly. A bone-in turkey breast will take longer to cook than a boneless turkey breast.
- Change the oil: If you're looking for a dairy-free option, you can use olive oil, avocado oil, or melted coconut oil in place of the butter.
- Different cuts of turkey: If you can't find turkey breast, you can also use turkey thighs or turkey drumsticks. Just adjust the cook time accordingly.
- Aromatic vegetables: You can use other aromatics like carrots, garlic cloves, or even lemons.
Storage: Once cooled, any leftover turkey breast can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freezing: Turkey breast can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Place turkey breast in a freezer safe bag or container and label with the name and date. When ready to enjoy, thaw turkey breast in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Reheating: The best way to reheat turkey breast is by adding it to a pan with a splash of chicken broth and cooking over low heat until heated through. You can also reheat turkey in the microwave, just be sure to cut it into small pieces so it doesn't dry out.
This depends on how man pounds your meat is. Generally, you'll cook it on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
The safe internal temperature for turkey breast is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
Yes, any brand of turkey breast will work for this recipe. Just adjust the cook time according to the turkey breast's weight.
Slow Cooker Side Dish Serving Suggestions
- Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Hash Browns
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn
- Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Creamy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- 3 lb boneless turkey breast
- 2 stalks of celery (cut in half)
- 1 white onion (cut into quarters)
- Add onion and celery to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the turkey breast on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, add all rub ingredients and mix together. Rub all over the turkey breast.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. For the juiciest turkey I recommend cooking it on low.
- Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.