If you love cheese and potatoes, you'll love these easy Crock Pot Cheesy Hash Browns! This side dish is made with hearty potatoes and is slow cooked in a creamy sauce made with cheese, butter, and seasonings. The perfect way to add a dose of comfort to your breakfast plate!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so it's important to have components of a meal that will fill you up! These low cooker cheesy hash browns s are hearty and filling, and will keep you satisfied until lunchtime, especially when paired with your favorite breakfast foods!
Made with simple ingredients like potatoes, cheese, and butter, this dish is easy to make with the help of your crock pot. Simply add frozen hashbrowns to the slow cooker along with a creamy mix of cream cheese, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup, and don't forget the sharp cheddar!
Let it slowly cook away while you prepare the rest of your breakfast or brunch ingredients, and you've got a dish that's ready to serve when you are. These cheesy hash browns are always a hit with family and friends, so be sure to make extras!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's made with frozen hashbrowns which will save you time and money!
- You can add in your favorite seasonings to change up the flavor.
- It's a great addition to any breakfast plate that includes protein from eggs or breakfast meats.
- This crock pot breakfast side dish is easy to assemble! Simply stir it up and let it cook.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Frozen Hash Browns - You can find these in the frozen section at the grocery store, usually near the french fries. They are an easy shortcut to a delicious side dish.
- Yellow Onion - Finely chopped onion gives this dish a classic onion flavor throughout that pairs well with potatoes.
- Butter - Helps all of the ingredients mix together smoothly while giving the dish a buttery flavor.
- Cream Sauce - A mix of sour cream, cream cheese, and cream of mushroom soup gives this casserole its creamy texture and rich flavor.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Adds a sharp cheesy bite to the mixture along with a melty cheesy texture.
- Salt and Pepper - A mix of salt and ground black pepper help to balance and enhance the dish's overall flavor.
How To Make Cheesy Hash Browns In The Crock Pot
Assemble the potato mixture: Measure out the ingredients and finely chop the onion. Add the hashbrowns, onion, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, 1½ cups of cheese, black pepper, and salt into a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
Grease the slow cooker: Using non-stick cooking spray, add a light layer in the crock pot to keep the mixture from sticking. Pour the potato mixture into the crockpot and use a spatula to smooth it out to an even level.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top, set the slow cooker to HIGH for 3½ hours, and cook until the potatoes are tender and the mixture is warmed through.
Add cheese on top: Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top 10 minutes before the cooking time is up. Add the lid and continue to cook until all of the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Using frozen hashbrowns is best for this recipe as they are already par-cooked. If you use fresh hashbrowns, they will take longer to cook and may not get as soft as you'd like them to.
- If the mixture starts to look dry while cooking, add ¼ cup of milk to moisten it up.
- Be sure to finely chop the onion so that it cooks evenly throughout the dish.
- Ensure that the cream cheese is softened before adding it to the potato mixture so that it mixes in easily.
- Use different types of seasonings: Along with salt and pepper, use your favorite seasoning blends to change up the flavor, including garlic powder, Italian seasoning, or cumin.
- Add in vegetables: Mix in some chopped broccoli, bell peppers, or corn for extra color and nutrients.
- Make it spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to give it a little heat.
- Add some protein: Some cooked breakfast meat such as bacon, ham, or sausage would be a great addition to this crock pot dish.
- Try other types of cheese: Cheddar is better, but you can also use Monterey Jack, Colby, or Swiss cheese.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Any leftovers must be fully cooled, added to an airtight container, and stored in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Hash brown casseroles can be frozen either before or after cooking. If freezing it before, add all of the ingredients into a freezer-safe bag or container and mix everything together. Squeeze out any excess air and freeze for up to three months. When you're ready to cook it, thaw it overnight in the fridge then continue with the recipe as directed.
If freezing after cooking, allow the casserole to cool completely then add it to a freezer-safe dish. Cover tightly and freeze for up to two months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Try serving it with some eggs, bacon, or sausage for a complete breakfast. If you're looking for something to accompany it as a side dish, I would recommend some grilled vegetables or a simple salad.
Yes, mix everything into a large mixing bowl, cover, and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to cook it, follow the recipe as directed.
The best type of frozen hash browns to use are the shredded ones as they will cook evenly throughout. However, you can also use cubed or diced hash browns. You may need to cook the dish for an extra hour or so if using cubed or diced potatoes.
More Crock Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
- Slow Cooker Sticky Buns
- Crock Pot French Toast
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Rolls
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Crock Pot Cheesy Hash Browns
- 1 (30 oz.) hash browns (frozen
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 1 (16 oz.) sour cream (softened)
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 (14.5 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
- 3½ cups sharp cheddar (divided into 1½ cups and 2 cups)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Add hashbrowns, onion, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, 1½ cups of cheese, black pepper, and salt into a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Add potato mixture into the slow cooker and spread out evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours and 30 minutes. Ten minutes before cook time is up. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Cover and continue to cook.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply