Looking for a hearty and comforting meal that practically cooks itself? With tender chicken, flavorful broth, and perfectly cooked noodles, this Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles is the ultimate comfort food!
Chicken and noodles is a classic comfort food dish that warms your heart and your taste buds! At its core, it's a simple combination of tender chicken and perfectly cooked noodles, all simmered in a rich and flavorful broth that is deliciously creamy. The mixed vegetables add a pop of color and nutrition, making it a well-rounded meal, and the sour cream added at the end makes it even more comforting.
The crock pot is the perfect way to make chicken and noodles because it allows you to cook everything together in one pot with minimal effort. When you cook the chicken and broth low and slow in the crock pot, it becomes incredibly tender and flavorful, making it the perfect base for the rest of the ingredients. And because you're cooking everything together, the noodles absorb all of the delicious flavors of the broth.
This meal is also great for a busy weeknight or a slower Sunday feast. Once you've added all of the ingredients, you can let it cook for several hours without having to check on it or stir it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This chicken and noodle crock pot recipe is the ultimate comfort food that's perfect for any occasion. It's warm, creamy, and packed with flavor, making it the perfect meal to cozy up with on a chilly evening.
- With minimal prep time and hands-on cooking, this recipe is incredibly easy to make. Just throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook low and slow.
- Mixed vegetables not only add a pop of color to the dish but also makes it a well-rounded and nutritious meal.
- This slow cooker chicken recipe is versatile – you can use any kind of noodle you like and even switch up the vegetables depending on what you have on hand.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Onion and Garlic - Adds an aromatic depth of flavor to the chicken, noodles, and broth.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - Provides the main source of protein and becomes tender and flavorful when slow-cooked in the crock pot.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Adds more chicken flavor along with richness and creaminess to the broth and helps to thicken it.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - Serves as the liquid base for the broth and adds a savory chicken flavor.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables - Adds a pop of natural color and nutrition to the dish while also adding a variety of different flavors and textures.
- Frozen Egg Noodles - Add a hearty starch to the dish, which adds texture and soaks up the flavors of the broth perfectly.
- Seasonings - A mix of onion powder, black pepper, and dried thyme work together to help enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
How To Make Chicken and Noodles In The Crock Pot
Prepare the chicken and onions: Slice the onions and place them on the bottom of the crock pot. Then remove any excess fat from the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken breast on top of the onions.
Add the seasonings: To the top of the chicken and onion mixture, add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and dried seasonings.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 2½-3½ hours.
Shred the chicken: Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the crock pot and shred it with two forks.
Add the additional ingredients: Add the chicken back to the slow cooker along with the sour cream, noodles, and mixed vegetables. Mix until everything is coated.
Cook and serve: Cover it again with the lid and continue to cook for 60-90 minutes or until the noodles are soft and cooked. Serve while hot, and enjoy!
- Make sure that the sour cream gets added last, as this will help it remain creamy and not curdle.
- When adding the noodles to the crock pot, you may need to break them in half so that they fit better in the slow cooker.
- Instead of using two forks to shred the chicken, you can also use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. This will make sure that the chicken is evenly shredded and make it easier for you to mix everything together.
- This dish is best cooked on high, as cooking on low may cause the noodles to become overcooked and mushy.
- Swap out the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom soup, or use a combination of both. This will add a unique flavor and texture to the dish.
- If you're looking to make the dish even more filling and hearty, you can add diced potatoes to the recipe.
- For a low-carb version of the recipe, you can substitute the egg noodles for spiralized zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash. Mix in the noodles after the mixture is cooked and not in with the mixture to avoid them from becoming soggy.
- If you want to make the recipe a bit spicier, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the broth. This will add a bit of heat and complexity to the dish.
- Add extra vegetables, such as mushrooms or bell peppers, to make it even more flavorful and nutritious.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. To reheat, simply scoop the desired amount into a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat it on the stove over medium heat with a bit of extra broth to keep the noodles from drying out.
Freezing: Once the dish has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Chicken thighs will work just as well in this recipe. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time if necessary to make sure the chicken is cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165F.
Yes, just be sure to cut them into small pieces so that they cook evenly, and adjust the cooking time if necessary.
You can use any kind of noodle you like, from classic egg noodles to whole wheat or gluten-free options. Adjust the cooking time as necessary, as some noodles may cook faster or slower than others.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
- Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
Share It & Rate It
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 24 oz frozen egg noodles
- Add onions to the bottom in a 6-quart crock pot, then place chicken on top.
- Pour cream of chicken, chicken broth, onion powder, garlic, black pepper, and thyme.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½-3½ hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it with two forks. Add back to the slow cooker along with the sour cream, noodles, and mixed vegetables. Mix until everything is coated.
- Cover and continue to cook for 60-90 minutes or until the noodles are soft and cooked.
- You can use any noodle you like, from classic egg noodles to whole wheat or gluten-free options. Adjust the cooking time as necessary, as some noodles may cook faster or slower than others.
- This particular recipe has a thicker consistency than soup and is intended explicitly for cooking frozen noodles directly in the broth. It's worth noting that alternative noodle types may not yield the same level of thickening in the sauce.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply