Indulge in a delectable casserole that's both comforting and cheesy with this Crock Pot Chicken and Rice recipe. Slow-cooked to perfection, this easy-to-prepare chicken dinner is perfect for feeding a large gathering or your family with minimal effort. Whether you're in the mood for some comforting food or looking to serve a crowd, this dish is a surefire winner.
Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic comfort food that will please all palates. It consists of cooked chicken, rice, and vegetables combined in a creamy sauce and topped with cheese, creating a delicious and hearty meal. This dish originated in the 1950s, yet it is still a favorite today!
While traditional casserole recipes are placed in a casserole dish and made in the oven, this comforting dinner is made easy with the help of your slow cooker!
The slow cooker allows you to set the timer so that your dinner is cooked while you're away, making it possible to come home to a hot and ready meal. Slow cooking also tenderizes the chicken and rice, resulting in an especially flavorful dish! With this method, little time is needed for preparation and cleaning afterward.
Enjoy chicken and rice casserole with a side of green vegetables, such as green beans or broccoli, for a complete and nutritious meal!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The ingredients for this crock pot dinner are simple and can be found in any grocery store.
- The texture is both cheesy and creamy, making for a hearty dinner that will stick to your ribs.
- Using the crock pot will ensure that the chicken is tender and the rice is cooked perfectly.
- This recipe is great for feeding a large family and makes delicious leftovers for meal prep!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - This high-protein meat tenderizes perfectly in the slow cooker and soaks up all of the flavors.
- Long Grain White Rice - Adds hearty starch to the dish that gets cooked in the delicious cooking liquid.
- Aromatic Vegetables - A mirepoix of carrots, celery, onion, and the addition of garlic infuse the dish with lots of flavors.
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock - This liquid has a rich chicken flavor that allows the rice and chicken to cook evenly.
- Worchestershire Sauce - Gives the dish a light salty umami flavor that brings everything together.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Adds additional chicken flavor along with a creamy texture to the rice and chicken.
- Dried Seasonings - You'll need a mix of salt, paprika, black pepper, and thyme to enhance the natural flavor of the ingredients further.
- Cheddar Cheese - Shredded cheddar not only gets added into the dish for ultimate creaminess but it also gets added on top for a nice cheesy topping.
- Frozen Peas - Gives the dish a pop of green color along with natural sweetness and texture.
How To Make Chicken and Rice In The Crock Pot
Prepare the ingredients: Trim the chicken breast of any excess fat and pat dry with paper towels. Chop the vegetables into small dice and mince the garlic.
Add ingredients to the slow cooker: Add the diced chicken to the crock pot along with the rice, carrots, celery, onion, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, chicken soup, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper, and thyme. Mix until well combined.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top of the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through and the rice is tender.
Add cheese and peas: Add 1.5 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese and the peas. Mix the casserole until fully combined and slow cook for an additional 15 minutes. Add the rest of the cheese on top and serve once it's fully melted. Enjoy!
- When cutting your chicken breast, make sure it's all roughly cut the same size to ensure it is cooked evenly.
- Using long-grain white rice is best for this recipe, as it holds up better when cooked in the slow cooker.
- If the casserole appears too dry after cook time, you can add an additional ½ cup of chicken stock and cook for 15 minutes more.
- The time it takes to cook fully will depend on your individual crock pot and the ingredients used. Generally, this dish will fully cook in 3-4 hours on HIGH.
- Use other cuts of meat: Instead of chicken breast, you can also use chicken thighs, diced pork, ground beef, or even turkey.
- Add other vegetables: Toss in diced bell peppers for flavor and color. Mushrooms are also a great addition to this dish!
- Add other seasonings: Get creative with your seasonings by adding in herbs like oregano, basil, or parsley.
- Topping ideas: In addition to shredded cheddar cheese, you can also top this dish with crushed cheese crackers, French fried onions, or even sliced jalapeños for a spicy kick!
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftover casserole must be cooled before storing. Store the cooled casserole in a shallow airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: Freeze cooled casserole in an airtight container or freezer bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the frozen casserole overnight before reheating.
Reheating: You can reheat chicken and rice casserole in the oven or microwave. To reheat in the oven, place it in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes until heated through. To reheat in the microwave, heat on high power for 2-3 minutes, occasionally stirring until heated through.
Yes, raw chicken can be cooked in a slow cooker. However, make sure the chicken is fully cooked through before serving by using a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of 165°F.
Yes, you can use other types of rice, such as long-grain brown or wild rice, in this casserole. Make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Yes, you can assemble the casserole a day before and store it in the refrigerator until ready to cook. Check the casserole after 3-4 hours to ensure the ingredients are cooked through.
More Crock Pot Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Potatoes and Green Beans
- Crock Pot Chicken Lasagna
- Crock Pot Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken
- 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken & Gravy
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
SHARE IT & RATE IT
I would love it if you would leave a 5 Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below. Then follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Share your favorite recipes or ask questions in my Facebook Group.
Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1½ cups long grain white rice
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 cups celery (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 2 garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a 6-quart crock pot, add chicken chunks, rice, carrots, celery, onion, chicken stock, worcestershire sauce, chicken soup, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper and thyme. Mix until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add 1½ cup of cheese and peas. Mix until well combined and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cover until cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!
- In case the mixture turns out to be too thick, you may add more chicken broth gradually towards the end of the cooking time, adding ¼ cup at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- You can substitute brown rice, but you will need to add ½ cup to 1 cup of chicken broth.
- You can substitute chicken thighs, but you will need to add 30 - 60 minutes to the cook time.
- For best results I recommend stirring 1-2 times during the cooking process.
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply