Italian sausages are slow-cooked in a tomato sauce with sweet bell peppers and onions until tender and juicy. Serve Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers on a toasted hoagie roll or over your favorite pasta for an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love!
One of our favorite Italian dishes to make in the slow cooker is sausage and peppers. The combination of sausage with sweet bell peppers cooked in a tomato sauce is truly comforting and satisfying.
The slow cooker is a great way to make this dish because it allows the flavors to meld together, and the sausages cook low and slow, resulting in tender, juicy sausage.
This recipe is also very versatile. You can use any type of Italian sausage that you like. We usually use sweet Italian sausage, but you could also use hot Italian sausage or a mix of both!
Traditionally, sausage and peppers are served on a toasted hoagie roll. But you can switch it up and serve it over pasta or rice!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire meal is made with just 10 simple ingredients.
- It can be served in a variety of different ways.
- Use your favorite type of Italian sausage to change up the flavor.
- The sausage gets super tender and juicy from cooking in the slow cooker.
- It’s a great meal to make ahead of time and reheat for an easy weeknight dinner.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Italian Sausages - You can find these in the meat section of the grocery store in a variety of different flavors and different types of meat.
- Bell Peppers - A mix of red and green bell peppers adds texture and natural sweetness to the dish.
- Onion and Garlic - Adds zesty Italian aromatic flavor throughout the sauce.
- Marinara Sauce - You can use any sauce you enjoy for this dish. We love using traditional Prego sauce.
- Seasonings - A mix of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning helps enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Gives a creamy, melty finish to the dish that enhances the overall flavor and texture.
- Hoagie Rolls - Use these to make Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches.
How To Make Sausage and Peppers In The Crock Pot
Season the sauce: In a 6-quart slow cooker, add garlic, marinara sauce, black pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined.
Assemble the ingredients: Place sausages in the sauce and then place bell peppers and onions on top.
Cover and slow cook: Add the lid to the top and cook LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Prepare for broiling: Remove sausages and place in hoagie buns on a baking sheet. Then, mix sauce and veggies until they are fully covered in the sauce.
Assemble and serve: Cover sausages with veggies and sauce. Then top with cheese and broil in the oven for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- To ensure the sausage fully cooks, you can pierce or score the casing before cooking.
- The sausages can be browned in a skillet before adding to the crock pot for additional texture and flavor.
- You can use your favorite marinara sauce to make this recipe. Feel free to omit the dried seasonings if your sauce is already seasoned enough.
- Ensure that the peppers are cut evenly to ensure they all cook through simultaneously.
- If you are looking for a lower-carb option, you could serve the sausage and peppers over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- There are many options to choose from when it comes to Italian sausage. You can use sweet sausage, hot sausage, turkey sausage, or even vegan sausage!
- If you are looking for a creamier sauce, you could add in some heavy cream or half and half.
- Use different types of peppers, including pimento peppers, banana peppers, or jalapeño peppers.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, store the sausages with the peppers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezing: Freeze the sausage and peppers in an air-tight freezer bag or container for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
There are so many delicious sides that pair well with this dish! Try serving it with a side of roasted potatoes, a simple green salad, garlic bread, or couscous.
If you don't have hoagie rolls on hand, you could also serve the sausage and peppers on a bed of rice, quinoa, or pasta. You could also just eat it as is!
Yes, you can absolutely make this dish ahead of time. In fact, it tastes even better when the flavors have had a chance to meld together. Just store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Yes, you can make this dish on the stovetop. Just simmer everything in a large pot over low heat for about an hour or until the sausage is cooked through and the peppers are tender.
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add garlic, marinara sauce, black pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Place sausages in the sauce and then place bell peppers and onions on top.
- Cover and cook low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove sausages and place in hoagie buns on a baking sheet. Then mix sauce and veggies until they are fully covered in the sauce.
- Cover sausages with veggies and sauce. Then top with cheese and broil in the oven for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Nutrition information is an estimate. It may vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact ingredient numbers, I recommend calculating them with your preferred nutrition calculator.