This hearty, comforting Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Casserole is a great way to feed your family on a busy weeknight. Combining kielbasa sausage, potatoes, vegetables, and creamy sauce creates a unique flavor profile that is comfort food at its finest!
The best slow cooker meals are ones that can not only be made ahead of time but can also be used for multiple meals! This sausage and potato casserole is a great way to get dinner (or breakfast) on the table with little effort and lots of flavor.
The main protein in this dish is kielbasa sausage, a type of Polish sausage made with pork, beef, and spices. It adds a smoky, savory flavor that pairs perfectly with hearty potatoes. Everything gets cooked in a creamy sauce made by mixing cream of chicken soup and sour cream for a tangy and creamy finished dish.
Serve this easy slow cooker casserole for dinner along with side dishes such as a crisp salad or green beans for a complete meal. You can also enjoy it for breakfast with a side of eggs! No matter how you enjoy it, this quick and easy meal is your next go-to recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Everything is made in one pot! This makes it easy to prepare it ahead of time and let it cook while you're at work.
- The ingredients are simple, budget-friendly, and available in most grocery stores.
- You can customize it by adding your favorite vegetables or using different types of sausage.
- This meal can be enjoyed for dinner or breakfast, making it truly versatile and valuable.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Diced Potatoes - A bag of frozen diced potatoes will save you time in creating the hearty starch that you'll get in each bite.
- Kielbasa - Slice into ¼ inch thick pieces and cut in half so you'll have a smoky, salty flavor along with protein.
- Vegetables - A mix of yellow onion and red bell pepper not only adds an aromatic flavor to the casserole but also adds texture and nutrients.
- Cheddar Cheese - Shredded cheddar is not only used inside the casserole but it's also added on top for a creamy, cheesy topping.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Adds a thick base to the cooking liquid along with a comforting chicken flavor.
- Sour Cream - Gives the creamy sauce texture and a light tangy flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Seasonings - A dried blend of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning work together to enhance the natural flavors of the dish.
How To Make Sausage and Potato Casserole In The Slow Cooker
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the kielbasa into ¼-inch slices, then cut them in half. Dice the onion and bell pepper. Place the kielbasa and vegetables in the crock pot, diced potatoes, and 1.5 cups of cheddar cheese in the slow cooker. Toss until the ingredients are well combined.
Mix the wet ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, add the chicken soup, sour cream, and dried seasonings. Whisk until all ingredients are fully combined. Pour over the sausage and potato mixture, then spread until evenly distributed. Top with the rest of the cheese.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cheese is melted.
Stir and serve: Stir the ingredients together until everything is fully coated. Spoon into serving bowls and serve while hot. Enjoy!
- When cutting the sausage, ensure all pieces are roughly cut the same size. This will ensure getting pieces of sausage in every bite.
- Similarly, ensure that the onion and bell pepper is cut into small dice, so they fully cook through in the slow cooker evenly.
- The time it takes to cook the potatoes through until fork tender can depend on the size and strength of your crock pot. Generally, a LOW setting should take about 4-6 hours, but feel free to adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Feel free to use other types of sausage, such as smoked turkey kielbasa or chorizo, for a different flavor.
- Other vegetables, such as mushrooms, broccoli, or fresh spinach, can be substituted or added to the bell pepper and onion.
- Add ½ teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes for a spicier version when mixing the wet ingredients.
- You can add an extra layer of flavor by swapping out the cheddar cheese for mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese.
- Add some cooked bacon when stirring the casserole before serving for additional smoky flavor and crunch.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, this casserole can be placed into an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: To freeze, let the casserole cool completely and transfer it into a freezer-safe container or bag. This can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Reheating: The best way to reheat sausage and potato casserole is in the microwave. Heat for about a minute at 50 percent power, then check and heat in 15-second intervals as needed. You can also reheat it back in the slow cooker on LOW for about one hour.
Yes! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish. Place all ingredients inside the prepared pan, mix until everything is well combined, then bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cheese is melted.
Absolutely! Prepare all ingredients as instructed, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you're ready to cook, assemble it in a slow cooker and cook according to the instructions.
You can grease the crock pot with a tablespoon of butter or oil or use a slow cooker liner before adding the ingredients.
More Slow Cooker Casserole Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- Crock Pot Hamburger Potato Casserole
SHARE IT & RATE IT
Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Casserole
- 1 (32 oz) bag of diced potatoes
- 1 (14 oz) kielbasa (sliced into ¼-inch thick pieces and cut in half)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided in half)
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Place diced potatoes, kielbasa, onion, bell pepper, and 1½ cups of cheese in the slow cooker. Mix until well combined.
- Add chicken soup, sour cream, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning to a medium bowl. Mix until well combined and pour over the potato mixture. Then spread out evenly. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook low 5-6 hours or high 2-3 hours or until potatoes are soft and cheese is melted.
- Stir everything together before serving, and enjoy!
*All nutrition information provided is automatically calculated and is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients, brands, and changes in cooking methods listed in the recipe. If you need exact numbers on your ingredients, I would recommend calculating them with your prefered nutrition calculator.